Anyone done a duramax conversion

85chevyk30

Feb 3, 2009
Has anyone done a duramax conversion in a older chevy. Im trying to put a 04 duramax in my 1985 chevy 1ton. I figured that i would just change out my stock dana 60 with a ford dana 60 and run this allison tranny and stock t case. Now the wiring is a total different story :eek:.If anyone has any suggestion it would be great.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
PPE can modify your harness so that it's a "standard 5-wire" affair for the engine. Not sure on the tranny.

I'm planning to do this... have most everything just haven't started yet. :eek:

Lonnie is working on one and it is AWESOME!!

Also, look up ebay member "pussow" as he sells a conversion manual that apparently has a good bit of info in it. I've purchased it but haven't even looked at it yet.

Good luck

85chevyk30

Feb 3, 2009
thanks for all the info. whos ppe im cluess. lol yea i bought that cd it has sum info but not alot about wiring.

85chevyk30

Feb 3, 2009
thanks kat. now when i do this conversion do you think i can still use efi live. and what do you suggest i do to the motor and tranny before i put them in. should i go ahead and build my allison or what. i frogot the motor im hopefully geting is a lbz

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
FYI, on dieselplace.com there is a guy selling a complete lbz with a harness that PPE has already modified. Think he's in San francisco and wants 6500 for it and it comes with a PPE tuner setup for it as well.

With the modded harness, just contact them, tell em what you're doing and send them your complete harness. If you don't have a harness they can supply a new one from gm and then mod it.

My understanding is you can still use EfI live as it still uses the gm ECM and data port from under the dash.

Calling PPE will get you more precise and specific answers to your questions.

Good luck!

85chevyk30

Feb 3, 2009
thanks smokeshow, what do you guys think i should do to the motor and tranny before they go in. since there both going to be easy to work on.

85chevyk30

Feb 3, 2009
well its not goin to be a daily driver. i want to pull the carp out of it this summer and still be able to drive it a little. i know i want to head stud it. what is the best head gasket for the duramax. i seen that a mike guy on here builds alot of trannys is he really good.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
well its not goin to be a daily driver. i want to pull the carp out of it this summer and still be able to drive it a little. i know i want to head stud it. what is the best head gasket for the duramax. i seen that a mike guy on here builds alot of trannys is he really good.

Mike is the best IMO. We have 3 trucks fastest being Casper which runs 10's :D

No one touches our transmissions except Mike L here is his phone # 714 870 7300

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
No worries :hug: We are here to help.

The question on the engine is how much HP do you plan on running?

At that point we can tell you where the week links are :D

85chevyk30

Feb 3, 2009
that is badass truck. well i want to do as much as i can without changing the turbo right now i really dont have the funds for a bigger turbo. I still have to find a ford dana 60. and a allison and t case. i have around 12 grand to spend on this conversion. another question is how big is the fuel lines on a dmax. b/c i got dual tanks in my old truck and i want to keep them. i have been tryin to figure out how to do my fuel tanks. my old truck has like 3/8 line maybe smaller

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I will ask my hubby tomorrow if he knows the fuel lines sizes or maybe someone else will chime in before then.