Anybody Watch Xtreme 4x4 Today

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
New episode today showing his new project. A tube chassis off road buggy built from the ground up from scratch with 54" Bajas and an LB7/Allison. I missed the first few minutes where he talked about the powerplant.

But it should be interesting to see what they have in store for the ol' Dmax.

Kinda neat they didnt get lazy and choose a 12 valve Cummins like every other joe blow.

MattZ71

May 16, 2008
Western Ky.
i watched also, from my understanding they are gonna put the motor almost in-between the driver/passenger, i bet that down pipe they didn't "measure" for will get warm!

Last edited:

blackdmax15

Saving it to spend it
Sep 9, 2009
Beaufort, Sc
Haha good point on the DP. All you missed about the motor was that they pulled it out of a reg cab 2wd salvaged truck for like 5 grand. And he said it was the first dmax to go in a offroad buggy. I'm excited about this project for sure.

MattZ71

May 16, 2008
Western Ky.
i bet they will put a "banks six gun" or edge on it, seems like thats all they think is available for the diesel!! will be interesting to see what happens. The show is taped in Nashville TN, about 45min from me, might have to ride down there for this when they test

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
guess we need to email them and let them know what is just out there for the old dmax. let them get some real power out of it. but i guess for a rock buggy you dont need 1000 hp and 1800 tq

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
well, first LB7 powered one then :D

wonder what theyre gonna do when their edge juice leaves them stranded.

Heh heh....bet they dont know about that little flaw.

Id like to see them fire it up and it smokes like hell and need injectors. I dont know why, but it'd just be funny as hell to me.

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I know they did the SUBURBAN GORILLA a few years back and went with all the BANKS stuff out there right down to there controller for the engine. And they backed it up with one of the first PCS prototype TCM's for the ALLISOn that never panned out. About a year ago though IAN posted over on pirate4X4 that it was into a shop having the electronics replaced as the BANKS ECM was just to complicated and troublesome for a daily driver and that the TCM had some MAJOR flaws in it. I thought it was funny that the guys who built it on the show couldn't handle swapping in stock electrical from a truck into a project vehicle that made such a big deal out of. And it was real interesting how they never aired all the problems they had with it on the show, but he did post about about some of them on http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ . I'm sure it will get all the boxxed stuff that one can get from a catalog on it.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
that truck is sitting at fleece. i saw it there when i was there. when they couldnt figure out what the problem was with it they sent it to brayden. he told me that he was going to swap out contollers and put efi on it. suprises me that they wouldnt just have brayden tune this lb7 for them out of the box. wouldnt suprise me if they put a vvt on it with a turbo brake for spool up

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
Didnt they put Brayden's turbo brake on a black LMM 1-ton dually they built a little while back?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
that truck is sitting at fleece. i saw it there when i was there. when they couldnt figure out what the problem was with it they sent it to brayden. he told me that he was going to swap out contollers and put efi on it. suprises me that they wouldnt just have brayden tune this lb7 for them out of the box. wouldnt suprise me if they put a vvt on it with a turbo brake for spool up

I thought that was where they sent it, but couldn't remember for certain. It just cracks me up how they built it up on the show and there was never a show showing it being used. Then I find out later on when researching for my swap that they had to send it to somebody to replace the stuff they were talking up so big on the show. Gotta love these new infomercials that run in 30 minute blocks.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You guys are SURPRISED about any of that? Banks is a big advertiser...so what parts do you think these shows are going to run? Duh. Of course the show would never tell the public those parts dont actually work, and someone else (who isnt an advertiser) has to fix the issue.

Those shows are just "DP Magazine Live" anyway, which should clue you in to their legitimacy in the first place. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Didnt they say that the engine came out of a 2006 truck?

Yep. It's on again right now and they say it's an 06 2500HD donor they bought for $4500. Of course this is false though as it is an 02 2500HD as it is definately an 01-02 front end, injectors under the valve cover, early style AC compressor, and an 02-04 intake. It would be nice if they could even get the year right, but like has been said it's the DP live.

Last edited: