Any SWAG?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
My buddy was in 4wd in his LMM last night, just for safety sake on a job site - no 'wheeling or abuse. When he got on the road he clicked it over to 2wd. The truck never left 4wd. He tried going to 4 low and it said it was in 4low but it wasn't. He cycled the key, tried to read codes with his Edge... hit clear codes to see if that helped... finally he got the Service 4wd on the DIC and she's stuck in 4wd. When he was doing all of this, I did not hear any sounds from the t-case to indicate that it was trying to move internally.

Are there any typical failures like this to guide him as to where to start?

Thanks in advance!

Wally

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
fixed... I guess? Snap-on scanner said the correlation from axle to tcase communication was out of synch. Cleared/relearned etc and it went into 2wd and all for now. Weird.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Old batteries, loose connections or bad/intermittent grounds can cause things like that.

Moved over into Tcase/Axles, too.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I ran into this as well. Replaced a T/C on an '08 and did the relearn. A year later customer comes back with weird problems. I scanned with Tech2 and got the same message as you. Did another relearn and all was well. Been 8 months now without a problem. Go figure :dontknow:

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Likely a grounding or voltage issue; the ground is located on the front driver side cab mount if you want to check and make sure it's tight and on bare metal. During high electrical loads, e.g., glow plugs, headlights, grid heater on at night and you switch to 4x4 you can sometimes causes a code with weak batteries too.

The TCCM circuitry isn't the highest quality and if memory serves it grounds at the same location as the shift-motor. Not to mention the wire is slightly undersized to the current that runs through it.