Any crow hunters on here?

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Ive done some crow hunting the last few years, but this year Ive been trying to go every day its open(Fri, Sat & Mondays) for something to do. Coyote & rabbit hunting has been piss poor this winter.
Id say its comparable to duck hunting with the decoys, calling them in & sitting in a blind except Im not eating them.
On a good day I might see a 100 with maybe 15-20 coming in range in 3-4 hours, not the amount of crows around here like Ive read about in other parts in the country where people see thousands & shoot a 100 in a day.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
I've done it but no since I was a kid it was great fun, I used turkey loads because they were so smart it was hard to get them into range. I couldnt afford actual crow dekes so I used cut up black garbage bags on pointy sticks and used twist ties to make a piece of the bag like a crow head, it worked great with just a little wind. I shot one and winged it one time it flew off 60 yards into a big pin tree did a death call kind of thing, within 3 minutes seem as if every crow in the county descended upon that tree.

There kind of fun to shoot at long range with a centerfire too.

There supposed to be good eating, but man are they smart, my dad and uncle raised a crow from an egg when they were kids it'd fly with them where ever they went, eat out of there hands, etc.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I've got to clear them out of the feed bins on the ranch (mix of birds). They poop in the feed and it gets mixed in during the loading process and it can make the cattle sick and some times even kills the calves (no bueno). Seems like thousands at a time some days. I'll blast 13-18 in a single shot some times (not while there sitting in the feed). I do eat the doves (MMMM GOOD). Gota watch the Hawks though. Some times there's Pheasants as well as Peacocks and wild Turkeys too. The Turkey beat up on the Peacocks so we thin them twice a year (in season).

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Trued calling crows a few times as a kid... No dice. Just peppered one occasionaly with a rifle whenever to apportunity presented itself. :D

Pigeons on the other hand are DELICIOUS. ;). It's been a bunch of years since I've eaten one but IIRC they area lot like a dove, just their breasts arent bite-sized nuggets, theyre actually a decent size for cooking. :). Yum!

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Trued calling crows a few times as a kid... No dice. Just peppered one occasionaly with a rifle whenever to apportunity presented itself. :D

Pigeons on the other hand are DELICIOUS. ;). It's been a bunch of years since I've eaten one but IIRC they area lot like a dove, just their breasts arent bite-sized nuggets, theyre actually a decent size for cooking. :). Yum!

Every time we go out to my buddies farm we all shoot abunch of them out of the silo first thing. Nonone else wants to try them. I've heard they are good to eat, but didn't want to be the only one to get sick lol. Is it common for people to eat pigeons? I think I might try it now, these aren't city chickens so hopefully they are desease free.

01LB7

Feb 18, 2010
Missouri
I use turkey loads and a foxpro to call em in. Instead of spending $7 a piece on decoys we just take black socks and put em over litre pop bottles.

duramatt05

Nov 21, 2010
sunderland, Ont
theres actually farms that grow pigeons for there meat. also known as squab. never tried it before though. u can buy it at french restaurants, and more high end fancy places.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Eating pigeon was no regular affair but the times we did, we fixed it like fried chicken strips. Cut breast in half or thirds if big enough, dredge in milk, then flour, then egg, then seasoned flour & drop in hot oil. Mmm.

I need to go hit up some farmers now & see if I can't take care of their problem? :D

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
hmmm honestly can say its a first time of hearing people hunting crows....pigeon/quail is awesome so I guess they aren't that much different?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I always thought Eating Crow meant you admit to saying or doing something wrong when you admittedly thought you were right? In that case there should be a lot of Crow eaters around here and there. :roflmao:

J/K

I'd like to shoot the bastards when they tear up my yard looking for grubs. They can do a job. It truly will be a MURDER then. I always wondered why they call a flock a murder?

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I always thought Eating Crow meant you admit to saying or doing something wrong when you admittedly thought you were right? In that case there should be a lot of Crow eaters around here and there. :roflmao:

Just for you Mack Ill bring some paper plates out with me next time I go for some pictures

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
That's actually Pheasants that are in the slow cooker.

1 cup BBQ sauce
2 cups cherry coke (coke or DrP. works)
1 cup water
some small red potatos, celery, carrots, onion if wanted, spices of your choice
Low heat for 8-9hrs.
Super good!

I'm sure this works for crow too! Some one else will have to report on the taste though. :spit: