Another paint thread with rust repair and panel replacement

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
With new tire, all new front end, edge cts, new double din kenwood, and mild EFI tune and injectors going in this winter the old 400k mile lb7 is ready for some making over.

I started by poking away at my rust bubbles and found only one nasty surprise, not to bad for field and dirt road duty for 11 years and 400k miles.

I will start the thread out with my findings, one can corner cant be saved all rockers can be tacked and filled no need to replace driver side corner has a small series of bubbles but my slag hammer didn't go through.

Hopefully I can help some folks out with the project and I am always open to new ideas. Cab corner is ordered and a box of rust converting oxide for the frame axle and drains in the rockers to help longevity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 84

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Good luck. Man do i hate body work, but the painting after all the shitty work is done is alot of fun!

Turbod2500

Sep 18, 2012
Il
I have to do my cab corners and rockers they are shoot.! Keep us posted interested to see how it turns out.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I would put some bedliner on the rockers to prevent further rust after it is repaired. I'm planning to do mine since MA does salt the shit out of the road. After all mine is completely rust free since it is from AZ and I recently moved back so I'll have to do it soon. Bedliner is pretty tough, there's no way rust will form through it.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Kansas just started spray calcium chloride. I dug that huge hole out it was just small series of bubble and the my pliers went right through and I kep tearing till i found solid metal. By far no the worst I have worked on. Due to the truck recieveing a flat bed this winter I will no be removeing the bed all the way I will loosen until the hoist can lift me enough room to squeez my arm in to back spray.

Plan for rockers and other cab corner will be as follows. Hole drilled every 2 foot 1/2 diameter, fill with rust killing oxide primer, sand to bear metal metal etch, then seal cover in bedliner then prime and paint. Reason for drain hole overkill is we cross a low water crossing to get to a field for hay and other equipment an it is obviously causeing an issue with the factory non drained rockers

Truck will be going 2 tone, undecided on what color either the factory option metalic gold or grey stone metalic

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Weather will be bad for the next few days so when I get back out to it, I wll get some shots of my frame channels, that truck must have 1000 lbs of dride mudd and rock on it.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
So can corner came in today, this week/weekend we will get going on it. Got my box of rust killer in, and bed liner spray.

Still undecided on lower color of truck, I think grey stone metallic would look killer?