Another code thread

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Since it has been raining on and off for the last few weeks here I have been getting an ABS light every so often. Thought maybe it was a wheel sensor wire that have rubbed through on the tire and was getting wet or perhaps the connector.

Well today, about 70 miles from home when on the highway, the ABS light came on again, then service 4 wheel drive, trailer break message, the parking break light came on, CEL too.

The dash then started turning on and off. Gauge needles go to zero, come back up, drop to zero again. Did this a couple of times. Dash (instrument cluster) lighting up like a Christmas tree and cycling through all of the messages.

After a few seconds, the engine shut off and I coasted to the side of the highway. I shut the ignition off and then trying restarting the engine. It cranked bit didn't start.

Popped the hood. Looking around for anything loose or out of place, batteries, connectors and grounds. Nothing looked out of place.

Tried starting the truck again and fired up without issues. Wrote down the codes and cleared them. Ran fine the rest of the way home.

Here are all of the codes that came up

U0100, U0101, U0141, U0140

I am guessing it a loose or corroded ground somewhere for it to affect so many modules. Batteries are a month old.

Any idea what to look for?

Uno Mas

Aug 28, 2015
Northern IL
I'm having a similar issue. I have the "service Brake system" message with the Brake and ABS lights and chimes going off. I checked the wheel bearings, they were bad. Put new bearings on, no luck. I checked the batteries, unhooked them, tested them, all good there. Removed the edge insight, no change.

I have codes U1301 and U1041

The other symptom I have is the cluster doesn't power up right away when turning the key from off to the on position. There is a 3-6 second delay. Even the auto head lights are delayed.

Other than that, everything works as it should, e.g., radio, lights, power windows, doors locks, etc.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Under the back of the truck there are 2 modules for the trailer brakes o e is a relay and the other controls this relay. Pull the connectors and check for water and corrosion.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I check the ground under the driver door. Surprisingly, it was clean with no corrosion. Rubbed it down with a scotch bright pad anyways.

Checked the trailer controller and relay at the back of the truck. Also checked the ABS connector. No moisture or corrosion

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Checked the battery grounds on the engine and any other found I could find. Nothing odd, out of the ordinary

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Ignition switch could do crazy things. So can a radio adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I'm having a similar issue. I have the "service Brake system" message with the Brake and ABS lights and chimes going off. I checked the wheel bearings, they were bad. Put new bearings on, no luck. I checked the batteries, unhooked them, tested them, all good there. Removed the edge insight, no change.

I have codes U1301 and U1041

The other symptom I have is the cluster doesn't power up right away when turning the key from off to the on position. There is a 3-6 second delay. Even the auto head lights are delayed.

Other than that, everything works as it should, e.g., radio, lights, power windows, doors locks, etc.

How's your brake fluid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uno Mas

Aug 28, 2015
Northern IL

Something I notice to this point above, when I turn the key to the on position, I can hear a sound that sounds like the electrical is building up and boom, power to the cluster, radio, auto head lights (if it's dark enough), etc. The only thing that is on during this 3-6 second delay is the Check engine light and glow plugs (if needed).

Uno Mas

Aug 28, 2015
Northern IL
Alright, checked box in rear of truck, checked connectors at ABS module, found no broken wires that I could see, checked stater wires, tested ABS sensors in the new wheel bearings. Nothing out of the ordinary.

The mysterious gauge cluster/head light delayed power up seems to be gone for now. I cycled/started the truck 5 or 6 time this morning and no delay whatever.

Had codes U1026 and P2138

Guess she's going to the dealer for the ABS light.

Uno Mas

Aug 28, 2015
Northern IL
Never did make it to the shop. Drove 7 hours to work Sunday night with just the ABS light on, no "Service Brake System" message or Brake light on. Started truck Monday morning and ABS light went off after 2-3 minutes. Drove another 7 hours home with no lights, no codes. ABS light came back on for about 10 seconds on Tuesday. Nothing on Wednesday. Thursday morning the Brake light and "Service Brake System" message is back but no ABS light and no codes. It snowed a bit so I tested the ABS brakes in the driveway and that are functioning as they should. WTF?

Uno Mas

Aug 28, 2015
Northern IL
Well things got fun today. Pulling a trailer the ABS, brake light, airbag light, battery light, security light were on. Gauges went dead. Locks started locking and unlocking by themselves. Radio went dead. Power windows are dead. Tow/haul mode stopped working. Pushing the button on the end of the shift lever yielded nothing. Truck was low on power (possibly electronics effected the turbo because egts got hot quick). "Service Brake system" and "service 4wd" flashed back and forth. A strage electrical buzzing sound came from the dash along with the chime in the door.

Part of me hopes it catches fire and burns to the ground. Off the dealer I'll limp tomorrow.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Water intrusion in the ABS module?? Did you pull the connector on it to check? This is going to get expensive at the dealer, likely they will use the guess and check method also,but on your dime.

If one of the modules on the system shorts out the buss wires all hell breaks loose like you are experiencing. I've been in your shoes before but mine ended up being the main harness was melted together from some idiot running a power inverter off the 12v port on the back of the center console. He used a 40amp fuse and melted all kinds of wires.