Annoying Turbo whistle Help?

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
HG's were blown and dealer covered under warranty. They FORGOT to reinstall the RDL egr delete tube correct and didnt put the bolt back in so the Y bridge blew out and the O rings are toast. Fix everything and now boost is boost and power are there, but an very high pitch turbo screech is coming from the motor and I cant find out where? Did the spray bottle with soap and water on the manifolds and nothing. Cant really see the ups behind the motor but they were fine before. Truck holds boost good but I cant live with this load noise since it will be even loader when I put the trailor on. Any suggestions?

dieselboy04'

DieselBoy04'
Mar 23, 2008
Virginia
HG's were blown and dealer covered under warranty. They FORGOT to reinstall the RDL egr delete tube correct and didnt put the bolt back in so the Y bridge blew out and the O rings are toast. Fix everything and now boost is boost and power are there, but an very high pitch turbo screech is coming from the motor and I cant find out where? Did the spray bottle with soap and water on the manifolds and nothing. Cant really see the ups behind the motor but they were fine before. Truck holds boost good but I cant live with this load noise since it will be even loader when I put the trailor on. Any suggestions?

Does this only happen around 5-10 PSI of boost while putting a load on the motor? if so you might need to buy or build a pressure tester??? I had a leak and it drove me nuts trying to figure out where it was. Turns out it was the metal gasket that is between the Y bridge pipe and what would be your egr delete. I believe I read that you replaced those but there's a certain way you tighten it down that makes all the difference. I'm not sure how the RDL delete is made but I'm guessing it's like the MPI delete that came with my twins. The factory stud and nut for the top and a bolt for the bottom. Tighten the bottom bolt down pretty tight and then follow up with running the nut down on the stud till it's good and tight. I did it just the opposite the first time, thought I had it, but then it sounded like I had to two pronounced turbo whistles. The second whistle I heard was high pressure boost pushing out between the gasket and the flange. I hope this helps, if not I'm sure someone else will chime in and get you lined out.

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
Check all the up-pipe gaskets...SoCal Diesel found an exhaust leak for me that was causing a high-pitched chirp...

I did tighten them up last night but put back together and still the same noise. Will try again. When I got the truck back I was taking it easy for a week and was merging into traffic and woosh almost no power. No high pitch noise until after the elbow fix. May had not sealed good before and now boost is up and now pressure is pushing throuh up pipes under load.

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
So Dustin at DA said if you don't do the pressure test you can drive with a tow tune and when on the gas and it makes a noise it's a boost or exhaust leak. But when the exhaust brake comes on when slowing down and you still hear it, it's more likely to be exhaust. Well I did this and the loud pitch only occurs when on the pedal and not when exhaust brake is activated with my tow tune. Will post back when and if I find the leak.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
The two bolt connection at the top of the y-bridge inlet pipe?

I don't have a gasket.. I used some gasket maker. Just give it plenty of time to set up before driving... made that mistake before :)

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
Whistle is fixed between egr delete tube and elbow but at 10 psi the elbow is leaking were it enters the y bridge. Any solution in fixing other than welding shut? It is pushed all the way in! Can't even see the o rings?