Aluminized vs. stainless

SRR Max

Sep 8, 2012
Have any of you guys installed a 4" aluminized exhaust before? I really can't afford the stainless kit and the efi i am getting. So it is either the 4" kit, or just the dpf delete pipe. I'm really wondering how difficult it is to remove the stock exhaust without a lift?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Not hard to remove the stock exhaust withput a lift. Done many of them. If you don't want to cut it up, jack the rear up and support it by the frame so the axle sags down and remove the spare tire. Little bit of patience will get it out. The alimunized stuff is ok. Just ends up rusting pretty quick compared to the stainless. Not like it is going to rust and fall off in a couple years, but usually doesn't look very good. Stainless stuff rusts too. Just not nearly as bad. Imo diamond eye is about the best cheap exhaust to install. I have put on quite a few MBRP and hated the fitment. Diamond eye was pretty good for around $270 shipped with out a muffler.

SRR Max

Sep 8, 2012
I live in south ga so rust isn't as big of a deal as some of you guys have to deal with. I think the afe kit is the one i would be going with if i do the full kit. So i hear of people dropping the crossmember down and supporting the trans. Us that not always necessary?

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
If you live in a relatively dry area, aluminized will work fine. If you want to make sure, throw some high temp paint on the pipe now and then.

One of the biggest reasons exhaust systems rust out, is from short trips. Condensation forms in the system, but people don't drive it long enough to burn it out. I think the oily soot coating a diesel produces inside the pipes probably helps with this though....

SRR Max

Sep 8, 2012
Well I'm pretty much just going with what phil at ga Diesel is setting me up with. He is giving me a good deal on the kit i believe and he uses afe. Thanks for the confidence builder on the full kit though!