Allison Trans-Brake

tracygto

Apr 18, 2014
deshler ohio
This is great I will keep looking and put videos if possible the first ones you put up were very informative just for us to hear what is happening when the switch is hit.:woott:

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Do you think this would be harder on driveline parts, i.e. axles, differentials, U joints, CV's, than normal brake boosting? When on the brakes everything is loaded up and under tension, no slack to cause sudden shock loads. In this instance everything is slack, so any little play would cause a hard hit on that component when the trans brake was released.

I think it is awesome, and I want one, just curious to see what you and others think about it possibly causing higher amounts of driveline failures.

tracygto

Apr 18, 2014
deshler ohio
The 6 speed is getting strapped into a 1000 HP LMM today or early next week. Going to launch and spray at the same time. Should be interesting. I also have 2 trucks coming that are 1400+ horse (per track slips) for in house testing as well, both fixed with spray. This will be tested from all angles. I'm sure this will help find other weak points in the drivetrain. Trans refreshes will be a must for anyone using this thing on the regular
how did testing go on these trucks???

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Do you think this would be harder on driveline parts, i.e. axles, differentials, U joints, CV's, than normal brake boosting? When on the brakes everything is loaded up and under tension, no slack to cause sudden shock loads. In this instance everything is slack, so any little play would cause a hard hit on that component when the trans brake was released.

I think it is awesome, and I want one, just curious to see what you and others think about it possibly causing higher amounts of driveline failures.

You have a good point. This is an AWESOME option and tool but I can't imagine it's not going to come at a cost of frequent Trans refresh and perhaps hard parts be it suspension, driveline, or otherwise. On the other hand, perhaps it would expose weak links that are easily re engineered to be better and handle the stress. Just an assumption and fuel for the discussion....

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

I'll give my experience with my van. It's a little different than a pickup, but here's what I know. The van weighs 5320 lbs (the previous 2 years I raced it, it was 5500 lbs). It has a 2 piece drive shaft with 1 1410 and 2 1350 u-joints. The rear axle is a Dana 70S. It frequently cuts mid to low 1.6 60' times spraying nitrous out of the hole. I have never broken any driveline parts on a launch. I broke 1 of the original 165k mile 1350 u-joint a couple of years ago half way down the track when I flipped on the nitrous. The pickups are a little heavier, so they will be harder on parts than the van. They do have much heavier duty parts than the van though. When I first put the trans brake on the van, I thought I would be breaking stuff left and right, but since I had the driveshaft rebuilt a couple of years ago, I haven't had a single issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the pickups don't have any issues either.

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
Considering what I've seen so far, i'm very surprised. We pulled the trans out of the truck to inspect and to our amazement, everything looked pretty legit.(this was after i had used it about 25+ times up to 3100 rpm with a 1057 converter )Refreshes are part of the game if you are racing or have the added power/tq and like to play. Do i believe this could expedite refreshes, yes. However, it comes down to how often it is used and with what parts you are using it with/who builds your units. I can't speak for any other companies frictions and converters other than ours. As far as other hard parts such as cv axels/drive shafts.. When it's time to go, they go. Keeping up with these items should be standard operating procedure with added horsepower and tq for everyone. We are continuing on with our testing and i will keep you updated

All data, videos, info will be released when I have everything in order

Last edited:

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Good to hear some encouraging words. I really got excited when I first saw this and I'm glad the option is there. It's really cool to see products developed for our trucks. Options are always good!:thumb:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I think the brake will become an advantage to the 2WD trucks providing you have the proper tires and suspension. I also think the use of a higher capacity pressure regulator spring will be a must with this unit.
Like Andrew said; only the best clutches and steel plates will be needed here as the C3 clutch will come off hot at launch. This means the C3's will be going through a 4th heat cycle on every pass. More frequent fluid changes may be in order. Just thinking out loud here guys.:D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I think the brake will become an advantage to the 2WD trucks providing you have the proper tires and suspension. I also think the use of a higher capacity pressure regulator spring will be a must with this unit.
Like Andrew said; only the best clutches and steel plates will be needed here as the C3 clutch will come off hot at launch. This means the C3's will be going through a 4th heat cycle on every pass. More frequent fluid changes may be in order. Just thinking out loud here guys.:D

C.................3.......................oiler :D

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I can't wait to see more videos. This is gonna be awesome!! The little truck at Josh's shop is gonna need this fo sho!! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
Lol, "hey mister! I need a huge favor... Here's $20, get us both some PBR"

:roflmao:

I can't wait to see more videos. This is gonna be awesome!! The little truck at Josh's shop is gonna need this fo sho!! :thumb:

I talked with josh briefly about that project. Sounds pretty sick. Once we are ready to release some for testing, i will be getting ahold of him

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Guys let's not ruin Andrews topic here. Keep all posts on the subject please. :D

sorry bout that andrew/mike, got a bit board today :angel:

definitely interested to see how some high HP rigs hold up if used in 4wd :woott:

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
What trucks are going to be tested? And is "The Hulk" coming back next season? Figured it may be one of the 1400+ trucks you speak of.

Regardless looks like awesome tech!