Allison 5sp: Allison overheated still runs and shifts fine aluminum shavings in the heat exchanger

matellefsen

Oct 14, 2014
I have a 2003 6.6l with a PPE Xcelerator level 3 and a PPE stage5 Allison build with the billet torque converter.

Three weeks ago I was towing about 10,000 pounds to California when for the first time ever the Allison started to get hot and overheat. I pulled over and did a quick google search and said a possible cause of overheating was too much fluid. I check the stick and sure enough it was too full. I drained off about two quarts and continued on our way. The transmission never overheated again. A week later I was driving around town, just the truck in Arizona this time and my transmission started overheating again. I came back home and did some more searching. I came up with a possible clogged heat exchanger. I drained all fluids and changed filters along with fishing out a small nest of aluminum shavings from the heat exchanger inlet. I had thought all was fixed once again. I made a unloaded trip to Las Vegas from Arizona with no problems at all.

This weekend I had problems all over again. I was heading from the valley up north through Payson with no overheating problems. Once I did get into the blue ridge area a noticed a little shuddering from the transmission like the torque converter was slipping. We got to our destination and I parked the truck for two days. On our way home today it started to heat up again over the 275 mark. I pulled over and the temperature did not go down. I started back on the road heading home and through all the mountains the temperature dropped back down to 210. getting back into the valley the temp went up again to over 300. I am having a hard time figuring out what the problem is. Tomorrow after work I will check for another heat exchanger blockage. Also If I apply the brakes and the gas at the same time the engine RPM will only go to about 1200 RPM. Could all of this be stemming from a bad converter? Transmission was built about 4 years ago.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
300? Holy shit!

Does sound like a converter problem. Open up your sump filter to see what's inside?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
300! your trans is toast. best would be to get it rebuilt by a reputable shop and replace the radiators. oh and who built your last one? have you tried contacting them?

matellefsen

Oct 14, 2014
I'm sorry I looked at the gauge today and I hit 280 not 300.... Still damn hot but not 300... Truck drove fine to work today... Going to check heat exchanger when I get home from work.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I bet you will find brown powder in the pan and sump filter. White converter indicates it's a Precision Ind. Converter clutches are falling apart is my guess.

matellefsen

Oct 14, 2014
After reading what Mike L had to say and a nice chat with Rick at PPE, I will be pulling my transmission out and going through it with a fine tooth comb along with a torque converter rebuild. I also noticed today that the truck wanted to creep a little at the stoplights so I had to apply a little more brake pressure then normal. I have heard that this is a sign of a bad torque converter. I drained the fluid when I got home from work and it was definitely burnt almost a purple color with a slight metallic look to it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
After reading what Mike L had to say and a nice chat with Rick at PPE, I will be pulling my transmission out and going through it with a fine tooth comb along with a torque converter rebuild. I also noticed today that the truck wanted to creep a little at the stoplights so I had to apply a little more brake pressure then normal. I have heard that this is a sign of a bad torque converter. I drained the fluid when I got home from work and it was definitely burnt almost a purple color with a slight metallic look to it.

Call me in the am. You may only need a converter and flush.

matellefsen

Oct 14, 2014
Quick update on my tranny problems..... I pulled out the tranny over the weekend and pulled off the torque converter. I looked down inside the end and it looks tore up inside see pictures. The heat exchanger is also packed with this same material im guessing aluminum.

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2572.jpg
    IMG_2572.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2573.jpg
    IMG_2573.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 125

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Had the same symptoms different converter. Torrington bearing failed in my and shredded half the fins. Cost me a rad, aux cooler, pump, stator support, input shaft, and a rebuild kit. Hope you have better luck but look inside before just putting a converter in it.

matellefsen

Oct 14, 2014
Update.... My dad and I tore apart the transmission and everything seems to look good inside. I pulled apart the pan filter and there was not much debris inside of it (see picture). I cut apart the spin on filter and there was only a fine metallic color to the fluid inside. Most of the frictions were orange in color and the steels looked new. I do have a a light black ring around the C4 frictions (see picture). So far the only debris I have found has been in the heat exchanger on the radiator, I still need to check the tranny cooler. I do have a broken C3 apply piston see picture.

I had Precision rebuild my converter with a billet stator. I will be rebuilding the tranny in the next coming weeks along with a new radiator and possibly a new tranny cooler.

What do you guys think?

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_0204 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2755.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2754.jpg
    IMG_2754.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2753.jpg
    IMG_2753.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0204 (1).jpg
    IMG_0204 (1).jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 77

matellefsen

Oct 14, 2014
Mike, that is not a picture of my pump above mine looks brand new. The build is 4 years old and has only been used as a daily driver with light towing. I run a ppe excelerator on level 3 no racing at all. My truck lives a boring life lol.

matellefsen

Oct 14, 2014
Mike, here is a picture of my pumpIMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 75