All Season Centerlink Brace

werewolf

Apr 27, 2012
eastern Noth Carolina
Just opened mine up last night to check it out even though I can't touch it til Christmas. If I get to then due to truck getting wrecked on Saturday. Really nice looking product along with the sleeves. I hope my truck gets fixed soon so I get to install these pieces.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
I just picked one up for the new truck. Can't wait to install and see the difference between the cognitos on my old truck.

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
So will it work with a straight centerlink?
X3 more specifically does it work with the kryptonite straight centerlink? I know the straight centerlink I have is supposed to be the strongest but the steering geometry sucks! It would be nice to run the kryptonite kit with the all season brace instead of the cognito braces.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
pretty sure its either or, the whole point is to prevent the roll of the stock centerlink, the straight centerlink eliminates the weak link in the original version, someone chime in and tell me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure they both were designed to eliminate the rolling of the stock centerlink so i don't think you want to or even can run them together.

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
pretty sure its either or, the whole point is to prevent the roll of the stock centerlink, the straight centerlink eliminates the weak link in the original version, someone chime in and tell me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure they both were designed to eliminate the rolling of the stock centerlink so i don't think you want to or even can run them together.
I understand there is no point in running a brace in a true straight centerlink. The kryptonite straight centerlink is not a true straight centerlink which allows for a better steering geometry and therefore needs braces. I'm just curious to see if the all season brace would work with the kryptonite centerlink vs cognito braces. Or maybe it would be better to go back to stock centerlink and sleeves with the all season brace if I really want better steering. I just don't want to bend/break anything while racing.

DaveB

Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Indiana
I understand there is no point in running a brace in a true straight centerlink. The kryptonite straight centerlink is not a true straight centerlink which allows for a better steering geometry and therefore needs braces. I'm just curious to see if the all season brace would work with the kryptonite centerlink vs cognito braces. Or maybe it would be better to go back to stock centerlink and sleeves with the all season brace if I really want better steering. I just don't want to bend/break anything while racing.

What is it you don't like? I went from stock centerlink with brace and rare parts tie rods to the Kryptonite setup with cognito braces and didn't really notice any difference other than the steering feels tighter (In a good way). No loss of turning radius, no odd tire wear, etc. Both work well but I'm less worried about launching hard with the kryptonite.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
I don't have the brace but i run the kryptonite centerlink, FWIW the idler and pitman arm studs are not moved from the stock location, SO i would venture to GUESS that the brace would still work. Just crawled under my truck and took a look. The only thing that might make a difference is the thickness difference between the centerlinks. Other than that it looks like it'd fit just fine.

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
What is it you don't like? I went from stock centerlink with brace and rare parts tie rods to the Kryptonite setup with cognito braces and didn't really notice any difference other than the steering feels tighter (In a good way). No loss of turning radius, no odd tire wear, etc. Both work well but I'm less worried about launching hard with the kryptonite.
Yea I like the kryptonite setup. I don't have first hand experience but I have read a lot of good things about kryptonite. They seem to have the best balance between strength and steering geometry. The only thing I don't like is the price. I currently have a true straight centerlink and it sucks driving on the street. Tire scrub is bad and turning radius sucks. It is great for the track but not the street IOP. I would like to go back to a stock centerlink with sleeves and the all season brace but I'm worried about breaking something. I would think the ultimate setup would be the kryptonite kit plus the all season brace but that is more than I want to spend right now.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
If i was to go back and do it all again(hindsight:rolleyes:) i would stick with the stock centerlink, kryptonite tie rods, tonys brace, and the ultimate idler arm just for good measure. Best combo for the $$ IMO

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Just received mine via ups today, looks great. Is the material for sure nylon on where it rubs? Just wondering what it is

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
This may be a stupid question but can someone explain the polishing part. Are we just taking some fine sandpaper or something and smoothing off the metal or is it completely different?

Just sand down the sharp edges and take away any aluminum slag from the casting. Make it nice and smooth so the Teflon doesn't get chewed up by rough aluminum. I just used an angled air cutoff tool with a polishing pad attachment and buffed it all up so there was nothing I could even catch a fingernail on.

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
For you guys with lifted trucks you can fab a brace like this in a few hours. Just take your time and make sure you get the right angle on the pitman & idler arm so it barely contacts the diff and doesn't contact the frame on full lock. I made one for each of my trucks. Is it as good as Tony's? Absolutely not. But it does work great and I have $0 in it.

werewolf

Apr 27, 2012
eastern Noth Carolina
Just sand down the sharp edges and take away any aluminum slag from the casting. Make it nice and smooth so the Teflon doesn't get chewed up by rough aluminum. I just used an angled air cutoff tool with a polishing pad attachment and buffed it all up so there was nothing I could even catch a fingernail on.

Preciate it!:thumb: