Allison 5sp: Ali falls out of 5th...is stuck in 4th...no reverse...

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
HELP,
My transmission is "falling" out of 5th gear and stays stuck in 4th gear. While it is in 4th gear only, it does not have reverse. When this happens, the truck throws the "Shift Range Limited" code. So far, I can fix the problem by letting it cool down (usually over night), or by resetting the codes with my Banks PDA.

While in 4th gear after it has happened there is no slip according to the PDA. In fact I have driven up to 40 miles to get the truck home, and end up going about 60 mph to keep the engine RPM from being right on redline. The transmission does not get hot when this happens, it is just like it is in 4th gear. There is no excess slip in 5th gear under normal operations.

I think every time it has happened, it has been during a "soft" acceleration (the first time it happened was using cruise control), it has happened subsequently during a lane change with a mild acceleration. It has always happened at highway speeds, never driving around town. It has never happened when I was cracking the whip with the chip.

It has been to a local transmission builder, and they are stumped. When they dropped the pan, it was BEAUTIFUL inside there was nothing in the oil indicating mechanical problems, all of the solenoids appear to be fine in the transmission. At that time we installed the ATS CoPilot and hoped for the best, but it is still happening.

The truck has 128,000 miles on it with the last 10k on the Banks system, usually at level 6, but the last 2.5K has been in Speed Loader.

Has anyone ever had this type of problem?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Have you pulled any codes from the transmission? I'm assuming the SES light is coming on when this happens. There should be a P0700 code and at least one or more transmission code to go along with that (most trans codes are P07xx).

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'm OK with doing a rebuild, but I did not want to spend the $$ if it was an electrical problem. Can you smoke the clutches without having any trash in the pan?

Allison clutches do not shed material in the pan. They glaze badly and turn black. If you had clutch material in the pan it would probably be converter clutch. To me, your post indicates fried C3 and C2 clutches. If it was electrical then it would not matter wether the trans was hot or cold.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Allison clutches do not shed material in the pan. They glaze badly and turn black. If you had clutch material in the pan it would probably be converter clutch. To me, your post indicates fried C3 and C2 clutches. If it was electrical then it would not matter wether the trans was hot or cold.

Thanx for the input.

I guess I get to do a rebuild :(.
On the other hand now is the time to make it bullet proof :D.

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
I think every time it has happened, it has been during a "soft" acceleration (the first time it happened was using cruise control), it has happened subsequently during a lane change with a mild acceleration. It has always happened at highway speeds, never driving around town. It has never happened when I was cracking the whip with the chip.

[/QUOTE]

soft acceleration- probably meaning your "rolling" into it and not making it downshift, this can almost be worse because your going right through the peak torque rpm's in the highest gear (putting the most load on the transmission) hence why it slips when you do this.

cracking the whip with the chip- wide open throttle forcing a downshift = higher rpms and less torque

this is why i'm guessing its slipping under the "lighter" throttle