Alarm Mysteriously goes off???

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
The alarm on my truck has been mysteriously going off while I'm sitting inside my house:confused: I will be watching tv and the trucks lights will start flashing and horn honking WTF any ideas???

RedHotGMC

stock
Jan 16, 2012
Northern Utah
well stop sitting on your remote... :D I know its kind of out there but are your battery's low? it seemed like mine would do crazy things when they were bad.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
i have a buddy who had a old 7.3 and after a rain the alarm would go crazy and the truck would try and start itself light would flash doors would lock and unlock it threw him off foreven nobody could figure it out finnally he found out the winshield leaked and was getting the fuse box wet im just saying make sure nouthing getting wet

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Thanks guys, it hasn't rained so nothing should be wet.The only thing i can think of is i deleted the second battery when i put the compound chargers on it but it starts just fine? Lots of guys only run one battery so maybe mine is just getting old? I wouldn't think a weak battery would still start the truck and if it has enough juice to start the truck it shouldn't be so weak it would set the alarm off? Im lost...

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I know with my motorcycle, if the battery is low or disconnected, the alarm will sound (it has it's own internal battery).

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Heres the deal lol, when Brian bought the truck the factory installed a aftermarket alarm system but lost the remote to it:mad: So he always just used the factory key fob as do i. There is a little black box under the steering wheel that flashes green all the time, it is part of the aftermarket alarm system. Im not sure if the alarm going off is my chevy factory alarm or this damn aftermarket alarm:confused: I need to remove this other alarm system since i don't even use it but I'm scared to! Any good ways to remove it? I'm afraid the damn truck won't start or some thing if i just unplug it and cut all the wires? Let me know what you gurus think because I'm going to be working on my truck tomorrow so i might try unplugging this thing!

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I hate electrical problems

You need to figure out which alarm is going off.

It could be your battery is old and dropping voltage and the aftermarket alarm scences a drop in voltage and signals the alarm. You need to check the battery voltage after it sits overnight and see if it is dropping below 12 volts. If your lucky the alarm module has a fuse you could pull and see if it kills the alarm and the truck functions as normal.

If not does the wire harness just unplug from the module ? That would make it easy if not perhaps you could snip one wire at a time leaving enough to re solder the connection in case the truck muffs up. That will give you a opportunity to seek professional help to remove the alarm. That's what I would do anyway. Remember to tape up any connections you cut!

If it's the factory alarm it could be a bad door latch. I've seen that before in other vehicles . I would definitely start with the battery voltage drop

Good luck

jewelaudio

Apr 16, 2012
Morris, IL
Not a big deal to pull the aftermarket and that is exactly what you need to do. If you dont have the key fobs for it, it will just be a nightmare. You just need to take your time doing it.

Im sure the "black box" (brain) is zip tied up. Cut it down....Most of the wires will probably be taped up together. Start cutting them apart. so you can see what wires are actually attached to something and which ones arent. Now just follow the wires that are connected to a wire in the truck and cut them off at the connection point. DO ONE WIRE AT A TIME. Dont just get in there and start cutting. Make sure you know where the wire is coming from before you cut it. If it doesnt come from the brain dont cut it. Then tape up the exposed wire where you cut it.

There will probably be a little box or two that will be mounted some where else but connected to the brain. This will be the shock sensor and other sensors. Take these out two.

Now the thing that is going to keep the truck from starting is the starter kill. The starter wire is going to be cut and each side of it is going to go to a diff. pole on the starter kill relay. The starter wire is yellow coming down the steering shaft. Just make sure this gets connected back together. Best thing to do is solder it back together if you have a solder gun.

There wont be a lot of wires connected if it is just an alarm. Should just be 12volts which will be red at the steering shaft. Ignition pink at the steering shaft. Starter yellow at the steering shaft. Then a few wires at the bcm. Door locks blue and white I think in the first plug to the left on at the bcm. Parking lights this wire could be at the switch or at the bcm depending on how they hooked it up. Its gray/black at the bcm. That should be about it. All the wire colors I listed are colors for the truck. I dont know what color the alarm wires will be.

You will also probably have a few wires running through the firewall. This will be the hood trigger and the siren wires. Just follow them to where they go under the hood and cut them where they attach to the siren/hood pin then pull them back through.

Like I said just take your time and make sure you know what your cutting before you cut anything. Make sure it is coming from the alarm brain. You could also disconnect the battery if you wanted so you dont pop any fuses. Tape up everything that gets exposed and then you will be all good.

Now if it is the factory alarm going off it can be a little tricky to troubleshoot. It will more than likely be a bad trigger wire. One of the doors typically. The door triggers are in the door latches so it makes it hard to figure out. If one of the triggers are going bad this will cause it to false.

I hope I didnt miss anything I am sitting at the camp grounds right now not at the shop so I this all came from memory. If you have trouble you can always pm me and Ill help out the best I can.

One last thing...I always recommend going to a GOOD car audio shop to have something like this done but I understand wanting to save the money too. Just so you know I charge about $50 to pull out an alarm if you did take it some where it should be right around there. Hope this helps...

jewelaudio

Apr 16, 2012
Morris, IL
ooops just noticed you have an 07'. Is it the new body style or old? If its new body some of the wires will be different. The starter kill will probably be done under the hood because of the new style ignition. Either way you will still do the same thing...cut the brain down and follow all the wires from it. Cutting and taping one at a time...

jewelaudio

Apr 16, 2012
Morris, IL
Then the wire colors will be just like I said and right at the steering column. Bcm is right in front there when you pull the under dash panel off. Two 7mm screws one on the right and one on the left. Take the fuse panel cover off then pull the panel on each side. There will be one clip on the left under the light switch (in that area) then one on the other side below the gear shift. Some times they are hard so just give it a yank. It may be easier if you pull off the the panel that goes around the gauges, radio, ect... first. Clips all around that panel. Just start in one area and work your way around. Put the shifter in 1st gear. Just watch the flasher button on the steering column when pulling it out.

Then once you have the under dash panel of there will be a metal bracket covering all the ignition wires. 4 10mm nuts holding that on. Once you remove the panels it will all be right there in your face.

jewelaudio

Apr 16, 2012
Morris, IL
Either way without a remote it will be a big pain in @$$...because you have no way to control it. It could be controlled by the oem fob also as an add on piece.

If you want to keep it you could go to an audio shop and have them check it out make sure it all hooked up good. They should also be able to get you a remote for it. If you look at the brain and find out who makes it and get a model number off it I can probably figure out what remote you need for it. The numbers will be on the brain its self.

I know a few guys with shops in AZ if you need I can get you hooked up with one so you know you are going some where good and that you are going to get screwed over. They should also be able to figure out why it is falsing.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I didnt loose the remote... it never came with one.. Just the OE key fob.

Never said you lost it:D I implied that the dealer who installed the alarm did:D Jewel Thank you so much for your respond it will help me a TON when i start tearing this thing out!!! WHich i think I'm going to do today:eek:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Who says it even came with one? Never got any paperwork of it, so I never touched it. I always left it unlocked anyways so I dunno.