Air dog 4G questions

BrandonLLY

Apr 23, 2014
Finally got around to installing my air dog 165 that has been sitting around in my garage for a while. Install was a breeze, even for a mediocre at best backyard mechanic like myself. I like how high up on the frame it mounts. Cant see any parts of either filters hanging down even when standing way back. Engine sounds happier, could tell it was starving a little for fuel before the install.

82472f06cbf8c23c61e9e9207cf605f1.jpg

Anyways my questions are:

1. If pump stops working will it still have positive flow through the lift pump with the OE fuel pump?

2. Do the pumps come pressure preset?
The only way I see to verify is to buy a pressure sensor and run it off the lift pump threaded port. Am I missing something? Desired and actual rail pressure off my monitors would not be an accurate reading for determining if the lift pump is pumping the fuel it needs to be, correct?

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
It should flow through but sometimes they don't.

Yeah put a gauge there or run a sensor if you want to see it in the cab.

At wot if actual is keeping up with Desired then yes it's pumping. If the pressure were too high you'd be loping at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrandonLLY

Apr 23, 2014
Ok, thanks. The reason Im asking the flow question is I travel to mexico a lot. And if any of you know baja, you know that help can be sometimes a couple hundred miles away. Not a good situation with friends or family on board. I trust the air dog, but failures happen. Have to be prepared. Im thinking ill make a jumper hose with some barb fittings on it and keep it under my back seat for the just in case times.

Last edited:

BrandonLLY

Apr 23, 2014
I was able to piece together an inexpensive way to monitor fuel pressure at the filter head. Using the merchant auto adapter, a 1/8" npt male to male extension and coupling, a 90 degree 1/8" npt coupling, and a marshall fuel pressure gauge. Tightened everything down with UL rated teflon tape and no leaks.

9f4b8c99cc334b0535eb19f43f5add8a.jpg
6dcc90fd5764642fb744acd40a17fd8f.jpg

Since adding the lift pump, Ive been monitoring desired and actual rail pressure with my cts. Im hoping someone can help me diagnose something. Desired and actual match up really well with any throttle at any speed. At city speeds, when I let off throttle completely, and start slowing down, actual rail stays up sometimes near double what desired is until I come close to a stop. When I hit a dead stop at idle actual has dropped back down to desired. But it pretty much happens every time I come off speed down to a stop. Im thinking its an issue with FPR, but Im here to ask the experts before I start to throw money at it. Thank you in advance. Im sure there has been at least one of you that has experienced something like this. I can log with my autocal if needed.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
I was able to piece together an inexpensive way to monitor fuel pressure at the filter head. Using the merchant auto adapter, a 1/8" npt male to male extension and coupling, a 90 degree 1/8" npt coupling, and a marshall fuel pressure gauge. Tightened everything down with UL rated teflon tape and no leaks.

9f4b8c99cc334b0535eb19f43f5add8a.jpg
6dcc90fd5764642fb744acd40a17fd8f.jpg

Since adding the lift pump, Ive been monitoring desired and actual rail pressure with my cts. Im hoping someone can help me diagnose something. Desired and actual match up really well with any throttle at any speed. At city speeds, when I let off throttle completely, and start slowing down, actual rail stays up sometimes near double what desired is until I come close to a stop. When I hit a dead stop at idle actual has dropped back down to desired. But it pretty much happens every time I come off speed down to a stop. Im thinking its an issue with FPR, but Im here to ask the experts before I start to throw money at it. Thank you in advance. Im sure there has been at least one of you that has experienced something like this. I can log with my autocal if needed.

I don't know much so don't take this as fact but my lly has always done the same thing. I don't have a lift pump but I put a new oem FPR on last week and it still does it. . Maybe it's normal.

I put the FPR on to fix an idle loop not for this issue.

BrandonLLY

Apr 23, 2014
I don't know much so don't take this as fact but my lly has always done the same thing. I don't have a lift pump but I put a new oem FPR on last week and it still does it. . Maybe it's normal.

I put the FPR on to fix an idle loop not for this issue.

Right on, that makes me feel a little better. I was thinking maybe my lift pump pressure was up way to high and keeping the valve open or something. But after verifying with the gauge, kind of ruled that out. Since I hear of people running well over the pressure mine was set at with similar setups.

Last edited: