Air Comp Electrical Question

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
If your a electrician then you are scary.... 14/2, you crazy? Your going to burn his house down. While 15amp is the BARE minimum think about the continuous duty and continuous starting and stopping. That causes alot of heat. I wouldnt care if its a foot away from the pannel. You still have temperature rise! Thats a ten foot resistor. Wile you may not loose it in voltage drop( you will drop like one volt (that is if you have good power to begin with) so its not drop you have to worry about) and also reading that he is putting it in the rafters or elevated crawl space what is the temperature ten feet above ground in a confined space in the summer? Bet its higher then a hundred..... and you heard you dont have to worry about voltage drop till a hundred feet? Every foot homie. I think you need to take a look at uglys or mike holts website 30 amp breaker, 20 amp wire, and 20 amp switch. Look brother i know im coming off like a dick and hooking this up is small potatos but this is a persons home and i bet like alot of us he/we cant afford to just replace it do to a small mistake. Always go just a little bit bigger as you can afford, its cheap insurance.

I did consider the continuous start stop... Thats the 125% demand factor.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
At 1.25 of the flc your maxed at 15A 14/2 is rated for only 15A. So your above 80% of the conductors amp range....

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
If you up the breaker you have to up the wire....

15amp double pole breaker, 12-2 wire, 20amp double pole switch and a 30amp outlet for the three prong 220v.

I think I did it conservative. Breaker is most limited item, which I think is always the goal correct?

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
If your going to use 12 then just get a 20 amp breaker and for the plug just get a 20 amp twist lock. Unless you plan on hardwiring the compressor

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Dad and I hoisted compressor up to above garage and it actually worked. Gotta mount it down to ceiling rafters with isolators and plumb it up but def infinitely quieter/faster than my current Kobalt.