Air bag sensor

Glover

Sep 20, 2009
I am looking to replace my stock head unit but ran into a bit of a snag. The local car stereo shop says that the air bag sensors are in the stereo and I will need to spend an additional 70 dollar to replace it. I called Future shop, Best Buy and another local shop and they didn't seem to know much about it. Crutchfield makes no mention of and I didn't see in mentioned in here either. Has anyone heard of GM putting air bag sensors in their stereos?

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
I call BS I have never seen a air bag sensor in any stereo. They are just looking to make a buck off you. You well need an Radio Replacement Interface box that will let you use the stock speakers and such I ended up just not useing much of the stuck stuff but that is me.

The box can be $100.00+ but not all.

Glover

Sep 20, 2009
Wow, that was fast. I'll take your advice and search else where. I'm partial to Pioneer and I'm going to use a media controller type of unit (dump the whole cd thing). Thanks again for the help and advice.

Glover

Sep 20, 2009
Guess I should report back. I installed an Alpine 9886 head unit. Ordered it from Crutchfield and they treated me like gold and included all of the adapters (wiring harness, dash kit, mount kit). I also installed 2 sets of Energy 6 inch 2 way speakers. They work great for a 6 inch. Learned a bit on the way. I'd say that about 80% of the Alpine's sound functions do not work unless you have a subwoofer. All eq functions and sound "halls" are de-activated. Wish they would have told me before I installed it. I guess its time for a pair of 8 inch Rockford Fosgate (I've used them before and they are really impressive).

Apparently Pioneer has been bought out by Walmart and the name has been contracted out to Blaupunkt. I hope that what I hear is wrong but if its true then its kind of sad to see these 2 once great manufacturers reduced to Walmart standards.