Af cam wiring?

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
Hey guys been searching, we put a socal 9100af in a lly. What's the easiest way to swap injector wiring. Can it be done at the ficm? Thanks for any help guys!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Mark, do you have to change the actual "injector output" wires/pins at the FICM, or can you alternatively change the "injector trigger/signal" wires/pins at the ECM??? Have you tried doing that instead?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Some tuners can change the firing order in your tune also. Idk what they charge but theres a few that can do this if you send them your tune.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Has to be done at the ficm or it will set codes. Tried at the ecm first cause it was easier but the ficm is only way to do it without issues.

Will this set codes like P1223 and P1232 Fuel injector open circuit? Causes a rough idle. I have checket the entire harness from the ECM to the injectors with a DMM and no open circuits or shorts. I have switched out FICM, swapped injectors, checked valves, and compression and still have the same two codes. Balance rates for #1 and #4 are +15 and idle. When I do a cylinider cut out test it only makes a slight difference for #1 and #4 compared to the rest. Mine was swithed at the bale connector with a kit I bought. Thanks.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Has to be done at the ficm or it will set codes. Tried at the ecm first cause it was easier but the ficm is only way to do it without issues.

Interesting! Thanks for the info.

I wonder why it sets codes? Maybe the FICM has the stock firing order hard-coded into it, so if it sees the ECM sending "injector trigger" signals that are the wrong firing order and dont match up with what the FICM is getting from the CKP and CMP sensors (#1 TDC reference), it realizes something is wrong and limps/codes???

Do you happen to remember what codes were set?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Will this set codes like P1223 and P1232 Fuel injector open circuit? Causes a rough idle.

Doubt it. The codes that will be set with swapped firing order at the ECM are probably "injector control circuit" codes.

Still sounds like you have an intermittent wiring harness problem on the "output" side of the FICM.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Mine was swithed at the bale connector with a kit I bought. Thanks.

Wait...if it was switched at the bale connectors, then that would be changing the injector control circuit wires...which Mark said will set codes. Who did you buy the kit from? Did they know you have an LB7/LLY???

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Wait...if it was switched at the bale connectors, then that would be changing the injector control circuit wires...which Mark said will set codes. Who did you buy the kit from? Did they know you have an LB7/LLY???

Bought it from So Cal and yes they know its a LB7.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Some tuners can change the firing order in your tune also. Idk what they charge but theres a few that can do this if you send them your tune.

I would think it would be safer to actually change the wiring though, if you retuned and the AF cam was forgotten to take into account, some serious/expensive issues would arise.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I would think it would be safer to actually change the wiring though, if you retuned and the AF cam was forgotten to take into account, some serious/expensive issues would arise.

Yep just saying it was an option but if you have it reqired and "forget" about the AF cam wouldn't that be the same? lol.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Yep just saying it was an option but if you have it reqired and "forget" about the AF cam wouldn't that be the same? lol.

Chances of rewiring as opposed to re-tuning are drastically different!