Adding secondary oil filter?

05Monsterdmax

May 31, 2011
Been debating adding a secondary oil filter to possibly keep the oil cleaner longer and better filtered. Was debating pull from the side if the block and then feeding back to the pan. Anyone done something like this? Been debating it then found a cat filter assembly with quality filters that are high mesh. Anyone?

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
be careful with this...

You can add fuel filters until you're out of room with minimal issues, oil filters however are not the same.

added filters means added restriction which means drop in oil pressure, and you can see where this is going very quickly. Typically people switch to oil centrifuges if they aren't happy with how clean their oil is. I believe ppe sells one actually.

Have you done any SOS on your oil to see if you're is really in need of better filtering?

ACiFiC

Oct 14, 2012
Canada
The thing about trying to keep your oil "cleaner" doesn't really make sense.

The additives and everything in the oil that lubricates it all break down over time with use and etc I don't think extra filters can prolong that.

05Monsterdmax

May 31, 2011
Ppe centrifuge is what got me thinking. I can change ny oil and a day or so later its black tinted already. Idk where to send oil samples but I'd like to know that my built motor is getting lubricated with good oil. Currently running regular rotella, not sure if its that bc rotella has went to crap or what. Not sure of what other oil is better to run and available locally.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Ppe centrifuge is what got me thinking. I can change ny oil and a day or so later its black tinted already. Idk where to send oil samples but I'd like to know that my built motor is getting lubricated with good oil. Currently running regular rotella, not sure if its that bc rotella has went to crap or what. Not sure of what other oil is better to run and available locally.

I know you wrote that the engine is built, but do you have the egr system still operative?

I ditched the egr, used sea foam multiple times afterward both before an oil change and also in the crankcase with the new oil while driving, to try and break down and get the soot out of the engine, I run an aftermarket oil filter that is serviceable and filters down to 12 micron absolute via a surgical grade stainless steel mesh, I also have a PPE centrifuge, and it really works, it pulls plenty out even with the upgraded oil filter, and my oil still gets black in one day:mad: right now I'm running royal purple fully synthetic oil and I like it, it holds pressure well under load and heat, even when hot at idle, the engine purrs nice and smooth and my fuel economy seems to be doing just a teeny tiny bit better since I started using it, maybe I just stopped beating my truck as hard tho:eek:

Modern diesel oil is formulated to be able to carry the soot and lubricate for thousands of miles though, so I wouldn't worry to much...

Last edited:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Change your oil more if you want cleaner oil. Use the best soot controlling oil on the market, which I have found to be is Petro Canada 15-40. Nothing else comes close.

05Monsterdmax

May 31, 2011
Oil has been drove on literally 7-8 times? No egr system. Common build motor on dual lbz modded pumps, 40s 472 etc etc. gonna order a temp gauge to see what the oils getting up to. And where can u get petro Canada? Nvr even heard of it. I run a standard wix filter also? Not sure if their the best but wix is usually better then most

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I change my oil every 1000 miles in my single cab. I did a test years ago with my lbz and I could go ~2000 miles and oil would stay clean. It takes a lot longer to "clean up" the soot than a few changes. No amount of filters is going to get all the soot out, gotta dump the oil out. I get my PC from the only dealer in AZ, most people have never heard of it, but it has tested with better results than amsoil in my LBZ and my GMC

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Like Brian said, just change it more often, its only oil.

I barely make it 3k before I change mine and it still looks clean'ish. Everyone tells me I should go at least 5k or more but why bother its a quick job to dump it and spin a new filter on.

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
guys you can't judge diesel oil by it's color. Gasoline engines will stay gold for awhile because of their lower compression and ring design. Diesel oil can still be perfectly healthy and very clean while still looking jet black.

Find a Cat dealer... They will send you the SOS bottles, a mailer, and run the analysis for you. They ONLY way to tell if your oil is healthy is with SOS.

Wear metals can be present that you never knew about, high soot levels, low TBN, low viscosity etc. SOS will show you everything that's going on with your motor, and often enough it will tell you when something is going wrong, and what part of the motor is having the issue.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
The main thing I look for is viscosity value. If your tested oil is below the "new" oil value, it's breaking down and should be changed.