LB7: AC inop. Clutch engages, pressure stays the same

dsljnky

May 7, 2013
Cincinnati
As the title says my AC does no work anymore. This started on my way home from Florida. Middle of Georgia in June my AC starts to get weaker and weaker then finally goes out. Checked charge when I got home and system was still full. Recovered, vacuumed, leak checked system and recharged just to be sure it had proper amount of freon. System static it reads about 28psi on both high and low sides, same when at idle and high idle of 1000 rpm. The clutch is engaged and is getting 14v. Is it possible for the clutch to be slipping? There are no strange noises under the hood or strange noises coming from the compressor. Open to all suggestions. Thanks!

dsljnky

May 7, 2013
Cincinnati
Aaaand I'm a moron. I was reading the Celsius line...

Correction both sides stay at about 100 psi. Like I said before, clutch kicks in just won't build pressure, both gauges even. All roads lead to compressor?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
im not asking if it actually turns on, i want to know if the clutch then SPINS after it turns on. you should see the triangulated bars start spinning when it clicks on. if they dont, you need a clutch, if they do, evac the system and pull the orifice tube and tell me if you see a shit load of crap in it or if its clean.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
An issue I just had with mine was the safety valve was releasing due to too much pressure. The lines were really hot on the pump discharge. The system would hold vacuum and pressure.

It was only happening while idling, not running down the road.

This was caused by the "cotton" coming from cottonwood trees jammed into and between the condenser, IC, and radiator. A good clean out of the radiator with a pressure washer and a top off of refrigerant and the AC now works.

It may be something simple....

BIGTERRY75

BIG T
Jul 15, 2014
ROCKWALL TX
The compressor shaft is prolly broken in two. So all the crap that has been coming apart inside the unit until it locked up and broke the has been cycled through the system. Hopefully the orifice caught the majority of it. Of course all of our thoughts are speculative without actually seeing what is or is not going on.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Of course all of our thoughts are speculative without actually seeing what is or is not going on.

Which is exactly why I'm asking what I did in previous post. Speculating and telling him to dump a chunk of coin a new setup because "you think" it's he problem leave the op with hell of a light pocket book when all it could be is a clutch ;)