98 k2500 Cheyenne lbz conversion

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
So I have a new edition to my fleet of vehicles. A 1998 chevy k2500 Cheyenne 4x4. This has a 4l80e in it already so I plan on keeping that and bolting an LBZ to it. Anybody know how "easy" it would be to drop an LBZ and bolt up to the 4l80e without remouting the trans? uploadfromtaptalk1445575809572.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1445575809572.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1445575809572.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 83

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Nate I would contact "thefermanator"...he put an LB7 into his GMT-400 Suburban. Which should be basically the same as your 98.

IIRC he said it was a difficult fit and time consuming swap, mostly due to the fact that the GMT-400 front radiator support and core support was never designed to fit a large intercooler (remember the old 6.5 diesels were never intercooled)...so that was the main issue. Also I think the turbo was a tight fit against the cowl/firewall, again, because the 6.5 had a side-mount turbo, not a valley-mounted turbo like the Duramax (unless it was a 6.5 in an Express van; I think those had a valley-mounted turbo like the Duramax).

But I think there were a couple other frustrating things that he encountered as well.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The turbo has alot of room surprisingly. The LB7 was actually designed to fit into the older trucks, theres to much evidence to support it. The drivers side exhaust manifold with the indent to clear the steering shaft that the newer trucks didn't need, well it is needed for the GMT-400 and fits perfectly. The notch in the oil pan to clear the steering linkage happens to be i nthe PERFECT spot to cleer my steering linkage, and without it I would have had to have modified the pan. And there was a few other things as well. Yes fitting the intercooler in was the biggest hurdle to overcome. Most have gone with a DODGE intercooler that is shorter and wider to fit in, but I stuck with a DURAMAX intercooler. All this being said, the 4L80E would not be my 1st choice for a trans, espescially not a 4L80E without the later revisions in it that started in 99. GM detuned the DURAMAX BIG TIME when it put a 4L85E behind it in the vans, and even detuned quite a few have managed to tear up the much stronger 4L85E with the later revisions in it. Then you come back to the problem of your putting an engine in that is worth as much as the truck your putting it in. The LBZ is not going to be as seemless of a swap as mine was due to the changes in wiring and data coms. Surprisingly the 01-02 LB7 used almost the same wiring structure as teh earlier 95+ GMT-400's did, and wired in surprisingly easy and left everything functional.

In the end though, you will be left with an engine that can EASILY fold up the frame in your truck if you ever want to push much power out of it. I have rippled my frame in the rear where the leaf springs atatch because it simply was not designed to handle the torque. It has required some careful tuning to keep the frame and such from tearing up with the amount of power I'm putting down, and I'm not really putting down that much. If I had it to do over again, I would not do another. The frame and body just isn't up to the task of the power that the DURAMAX puts out, and in the end you'll have more in the swap than the finished product is worth. If your deadset on doing it, then I would box the frame in and gusset it to handle the power, be ready to swap in the front end out of a newer truck to handle the power as the GMT-400 front end is NOT up to it nor is the puny single piston calipers. And when it's all said and done, you will have MORE into the swap, than you could ever hope to sell it for. I know GM designed the LB7 in alot of ways to fit into the GMT-400 trucks, but I bet they waited for the GMT-800 after realizing the truck just wasn't up to the task of what a stock LB7 could do.

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
The turbo has alot of room surprisingly. The LB7 was actually designed to fit into the older trucks, theres to much evidence to support it. The drivers side exhaust manifold with the indent to clear the steering shaft that the newer trucks didn't need, well it is needed for the GMT-400 and fits perfectly. The notch in the oil pan to clear the steering linkage happens to be i nthe PERFECT spot to cleer my steering linkage, and without it I would have had to have modified the pan. And there was a few other things as well. Yes fitting the intercooler in was the biggest hurdle to overcome. Most have gone with a DODGE intercooler that is shorter and wider to fit in, but I stuck with a DURAMAX intercooler. All this being said, the 4L80E would not be my 1st choice for a trans, espescially not a 4L80E without the later revisions in it that started in 99. GM detuned the DURAMAX BIG TIME when it put a 4L85E behind it in the vans, and even detuned quite a few have managed to tear up the much stronger 4L85E with the later revisions in it. Then you come back to the problem of your putting an engine in that is worth as much as the truck your putting it in. The LBZ is not going to be as seemless of a swap as mine was due to the changes in wiring and data coms. Surprisingly the 01-02 LB7 used almost the same wiring structure as teh earlier 95+ GMT-400's did, and wired in surprisingly easy and left everything functional.

In the end though, you will be left with an engine that can EASILY fold up the frame in your truck if you ever want to push much power out of it. I have rippled my frame in the rear where the leaf springs atatch because it simply was not designed to handle the torque. It has required some careful tuning to keep the frame and such from tearing up with the amount of power I'm putting down, and I'm not really putting down that much. If I had it to do over again, I would not do another. The frame and body just isn't up to the task of the power that the DURAMAX puts out, and in the end you'll have more in the swap than the finished product is worth. If your deadset on doing it, then I would box the frame in and gusset it to handle the power, be ready to swap in the front end out of a newer truck to handle the power as the GMT-400 front end is NOT up to it nor is the puny single piston calipers. And when it's all said and done, you will have MORE into the swap, than you could ever hope to sell it for. I know GM designed the LB7 in alot of ways to fit into the GMT-400 trucks, but I bet they waited for the GMT-800 after realizing the truck just wasn't up to the task of what a stock LB7 could do.

I did indeed plan on reinforcing the frame to make it beefier than it is now. I really dont plan on making the same power as betty (my truck) which makes 550 with Wendy's tune. This truck will just be for going to the desert and going up in the hills by my house and of course glamis. I thought about using it to tow my toy hauler but after looking at the frame I said screw it, thats what betty is for. So it sounds like an LB7 is the best route for it. I am not a fan of LB7s but wouldn't mind it only to make it easy. How hard was it to get the Allison to fit in yours? Body lift? did you convert yours to electric fans or keep the stock belt driven fan?

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
It wont be a while until she goes under the knife. She has a SB350 with over 200k and still going. Just took the "lift" off and the 35s that were on it. With my business getting swamped under I barely had time to get betty back together. :mad:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
It's a very labor intensive swap. If you do a 2" body lift, it would be a good bit easier to fit the intercooler and such in(you could use the 3500HD radiator support which is 2 inches taller, it allows the intercooler to almost drop right in). Malibu did a 06 VAN LLY/4L85E combo in his 99 3500HD, and I don't think his was to bad. Beings you have a truck with a 350, you will have alot more work ahead of you to do this if you want it strong. Most all the 2500's I have seen with a 350(even 8 lugs) still only had the 8.25" IFS and 9.5" semi float rear axle. They can hold up, but won't take much weight if you do decide to tow with it. The ALLISON isn't that hard to fit in without a body lift. I had to massage the trans tunnel some, but nothing that involved cutting it(just mostly some hammer work to round it VS stock where it's flat). Heres a link to my build thread.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/95-suburban-to-a-01-duramax-allison.10142/

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
I saw these on Facebook last week. Not sure on the specs other than it has a 2500hd front suspension swapped into it.

2780e4c2a7a59a119078c40605bcc0f3.jpg

d0ccba36251252b4dcc6648c51e7bf93.jpg

229138b4056a2ca2504d5126dd7c8e62.jpg

e5e8d40b7065b7956ba1561d16445070.jpg

Corey

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I like how they integrated the LLY cluster and steering column into the interior. Never seen one like that before.
The 1st one ever done was by Bigley, and used the new style dash and LB7 cluster. Most of the swaps utilize the new style cluster as they say it isn't that hard to fit it into the 95+ GMT-400 dash. I chose to stay with my cluster as I saw no need for a change engine oil message from the DIC and a trans temp gauge as my stock 95 cluster does most everything else the 01-02 cluster does. And doing it this way meant I didn't have to do anything with the ABS to make it work without warning lights as well as the ABS. And if I really wanted to, steering wheel controls can be added to the 95+ GMT-400 truck for the radio, so no real reason to do the dash swap.

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
I decided to not go through with this project. Buying a 78 crewcab 1 ton instead and dropping an LBZ/Ally in it. Truck needs a little love but thats ok.

Gonna hopefully take it to glamis next year and see how it does as is.

This was Johnny's (Gasuout's) old truck.