6.4, turbo eclipse, and a crotch rocket

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Went cruising tonight. We have a few like stretch in town that all the kids with daddy money and all the turbo 4 bangers like to go stoplight to stoplight on. So I pull out of chilis and decided to see how I stack up with this crowd. 1st lap a 6.4 hammers it when he's already halfway past me so I do the same and I would passed him but being the nice person I am I let him over instead of him crashing into the barrier lol then he gets behind me at the next light and a bike is next to me. Some kinda crotch rocket maybe a 600 so I watch the lights and boost it in 4wd and launch the thing. I look over and I'm keeping up with the bike (I'll bet he wasn't hammering it tho) so at the next light the kid on the bike is yelling nice truck man! Then next lap a turbo 2nd gen eclipse is right on my tail so he finally gets lined up to me. Boosted launch and rocket in front of him. Same for the next 3 lights. I figure I'd give him a chance. Turn it down to my DD tune. 2wd but tow hall on. I take off like normal and he spools and hammers it so I do the same. Flew by him again:roflmao:I let off around 70 and he flies by me and don't see him again.

Not as cool as some of yalls stories but hey it makes me feel good to know all the blood sweat tears and money I've put into this thing got me somewhere. I'm proud of it. Hope everyone else had a good night!

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I've been weary of 6.4's
I've seen them run poorly and I've also seen them run good. I personally fear a ford more than a dodge any day of the week because H&S and SCT don't f*ck around! Thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I've been weary of 6.4's
I've seen them run poorly and I've also seen them run good. I personally fear a ford more than a dodge any day of the week because H&S and SCT don't f*ck around! Thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around here I don't fear too much honestly. Very very few people have trucks that are actually fast. Most are just tuned trucks that 17 year olds drive with forces. But yeah 6.4 are the only ones I'm iffy on. 6.7 and 6.0 aren't really too quick.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
My 6.7 is faster than my last 2 stock trans max effort tuned duramax's. And it's not much if any slower than my max effort ZF6 lly was. 15+ are no slouch.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
What I mean is, put next to my truck I'm not really worried about them. Yes they're no slouch. But even so I haven't seen anyone around here with a 6.7 that's truly quick. Lost are just prettied up

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Only a select few will run with a built trans duramax, but.... the Pistons last longer than 100k so I'm sold.

:roflmao:honestly that's one reason why I'm not sold on LBZ/LMM engines. I've heard too many stories about the pistons. I honestly love my lb7. If o get another truck it'll be a 6.4 or a LML. I just love my truck being kind of a sleeper.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Seen my fair share of Swiss cheese lml pistons too. And if you don't like your odds with an lbz/lmm then I'd definitely steer clear of a 6.4.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
6.4's can be a force to be reckoned with. There is a regular cab running around here that I don't want any part of. But they are also known to eat pistons and score blocks.

The 6.7s can move out also with very little work. A lot of the local guys are swapping 2015+ turbos on the older ones and they run decent also.

But as far as cars go and racing them. No one wants to play with me anymore around here. Kind of sad really.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
6.7's are some pretty mean engines, but I'd rather take my chances with some pistons over driving a ford.

Sorry, I work at a metal recycling center...aka junk yard. I've literally crushed them all

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Not many people wanna play with me. I'm kinda the unicorn. I show up once in a blue moon and hurt them then disappear :roflmao: I don't think I'll ever get another truck but if I do the dream is a scsb 02 Chevy. And the 6.4 are sweet truck but you're right they have their issues. I'd get one just for a change tho. Main reason i don't like the LBZ and LMM is everyone has them. I like different stuff. Almost no one has an 01/02 here.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
6.7's are some pretty mean engines, but I'd rather take my chances with some pistons over driving a ford.

Sorry, I work at a metal recycling center...aka junk yard. I've literally crushed them all

I'd rather drive a ford than do engine work every few years, I'm driving a for now that's outlasted a Chevy 6.0 and two duramaxs, kind of ironic, lol.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I'd rather drive a ford than do engine work every few years, I'm driving a for now that's outlasted a Chevy 6.0 and two duramaxs, kind of ironic, lol.

Reger has a point. I honestly don't believe anymore that one brand is better than another. EVERY vehicle has its issues and it's strong points.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Y'all must not have enough power junkies where you live. Here if they are willing to play they have something that runs low 11s or better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Y'all must not have enough power junkies where you live. Here if they are willing to play they have something that runs low 11s or better.

I've got one of the fastest trucks here, there's a handful of built cummins and a couple hopped up duramaxs but you don't see them on the road often and they know what they've got so they don't like to play.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH

I work with power junkies, they have dedicated race cars.

Like I said. Nothing but forces and a tuner.

Around here it's just a tuner and big mud tires on stock wheels. Friend of mine has a quick twinned LLY but he doesn't go out and street race. Everyone I know that has a decently quick car / truck doesn't race in public, only the kids that think they're fast.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I work with power junkies, they have dedicated race cars.

Around here it's just a tuner and big mud tires on stock wheels. Friend of mine has a quick twinned LLY but he doesn't go out and street race. Everyone I know that has a decently quick car / truck doesn't race in public, only the kids that think they're fast.

Thankfully around here that fad hasn't hit. Down in myrtle beach tho... it's terrible.