5" single stack kit?

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
I bought a stack real cheap off a buddy of mine and I'm trying to find a single stack kit but I'm not sure what to go with. I eventually want to replace everything from the turbo back but I only can get one piece at a time. I've yet to find a 5" single stack kit for my year truck. Is that because they don't make them or am I not looking hard enough. Also I found a kit which came with flex pipe but I'm not sure about using flex pipe although it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Most stack install kits will include a 90* bend to go up through the bed and a piece of flex pipe to go the the front section of your exhaust. The flex gives you a bit more freedom on where you place the stack. I believe FTE makes stack install kits but hopefully a vendor here can chime in and help you get the parts you need.

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
Would you recommend using flex pipe rather then a solid stainless
Steel 90 pipe. I see in your picture you have a stack, what did you use?

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
You use both. The stack hooks to the 90 then the 90 is connected to the front pipe by the flex pipe.

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
Would you recommend using flex pipe rather then a solid stainless
Steel 90 pipe. I see in your picture you have a stack, what did you use?

You kind of have to use flex pipe at some point. Think about it, the hole through the bed is obviously tight, and the bed flexes and moves separately from the engine, and vice versa. You need to have some play in the exhaust.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I don't have any flex pipe on my stack and I have no problems with flex or anything like that.

All you need to install a stack is a 90° elbow and some clamps to mount it. You don't need an "install kit".

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I don't have any flex pipe on my stack and I have no problems with flex or anything like that.

All you need to install a stack is a 90° elbow and some clamps to mount it. You don't need an "install kit".
It can be done, but I think the flex pipe makes things a lot easier. I only have about 8 inches of flexpipe in mine but it would have been nearly impossible to put the stack where I wanted it without it.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
No flex pipe on mine. Mounted the stack in the bed, bolted it down, put my 90* flo pro turn up on my exhaust. My magna flow exhaust fit the turn up perfectly with no cutting. The 90* and stack was off by about 1/2" and I just got a band clamp and tightened it down. Worked perfectly for while I had it.

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
The stack that I got is 12" and I'm only cutting the exhaust off where
I'm going to add the 90 for now and eventually I replace the down pipe and front I'm just trying to figure out the cheapest but best way to do the installation

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
How do you plan to adapt the 3.5" factory exhaust to the 5"? Are you still running a cat? You can get an aluminized 4" down pipe back for like 300 bucks

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
I have a 4" exhaust with no cat and I was going to use an adapter to go from 4 inch to 5" for the stack. I know the down pipe and everything is relatively cheap but i have my first baby due Christmas Day and money goes there first

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
i will say this i thought haveing a stack would be hard when my daughter was born nope its puts them to sleep so fast its awesome

Tbiggs3

Nov 3, 2013
Crystal lake
Guy currently I'm running a 4 inch turbo back exhaust. I just picked up a 7 inch stack for a steal of a price. Here's my dilemma. Do I stack my truck or just turn around and sell it. What's you guys opinions on the stack. My truck is my dd

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
I just put my stack on about 3 weeks ago and I wouldn't look back. I picked up my stack off a buddy for $30 which was a deal I couldn't resist. I also put on the stack because where I'm at the only people with stacks are 18 wheelers so it stands out. It's all about person preference. Everyone on here said mine looks like shit but I like it. There is some cab drown that comes along with the stack. I don't think if I had a 4" turbo back exhaust I would change to a stack. I put my stack on because of the deal I got on it and I installed it myself and before the stack I was running stock exhaust