LMM: 4x4 launching

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Ok guys, I've got my frontend beefed up and leveled with the rear. Does anybody launch with leveled front? Even with hd tierods and brace? If not do you lower your truck when you get to the track? How does that affect steering, since it changes camber and toe in a lot.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
1st, dont launch that thing with the front cranked (unless cv's are level or lower). its a good way to tear things up in a hurry. you might be able to get away with a light 4wd launch but you have been warned lol :D

2nd, Most everyone lowers their truck when they get to the track. decrank the bars all the way. Camber isnt that much of an issue and wont really affect your launch. your tires will actually TOE OUT, not in when you drop the front end. this actually aids you a bit in your launch to take up any little bit of give in the steering or suspension that may cause a toe in situation as well as when the front end raises, the tires will come back more towards center than instead of going towards pigeon toe affect.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Dang lost my reply

Yep toe out is right. So counting turns will be accurate enough to avoid any weird tire wear problems after I leave? Me bfgs set me back a good bit.:eek:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Dang lost my reply

Yep toe out is right. So counting turns will be accurate enough to avoid any weird tire wear problems after I leave? Me bfgs set me back a good bit.:eek:

i used a yellow paint marker to mark where the threads of the bolt are while at your current ride height. others have stacked washers on the bolt so when it bottoms out, your at ride height. counting works and i cant say 1/2 turn has ever made the difference in tire wear. i have yet to go to an alignment shop in the last 8 years and these 37s have never shown signs of feathering or accessive wear on the inner or outer edges but then again, i know what im looking for to get the alignment set and measure quite a bit.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Wolf I just count threads when I go to the track but as James mentioned the Paint marker would work really well. You could probably use some Prussian Blue:D

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
I used washers when I did a lot of brush pulls. Completely lowered at the track, tighten back up against the washers when done. Very simple and quick.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Trust all this advise. I did all 4x4 launch at 10#s with the truck leveled and it cost me a whole front end lol. I was warned but thought one wouldn't hurt anything. And that was wrong.:thumb: