4wd popping!?

blitzin247

That didn't sound good...
Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
Hey guys, first of all, sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

So I was driving in some remote back roads and had to put it in 4hi to keep the truck from goin sideways in the wet terrain. Well I had intermittent popping under slightly moderate (not balls crazy, just accelerating up hills) and I could feel it in the floor board (I think) but not the steering wheel. It wouldn't do it all the time, and sometimes with wheels turned sometimes straight, but only in 4x4.

CV's look good, I'm leaning towards a front diff encoder..just wondering why it was intermittent.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Have you checked your transfer case for pump rub and lack of fluid? If fluid is low it can have very little abnormal sound in 2wd but 4x4 can be violent sounding.

sent from a galaxy far far away

blitzin247

Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
Sorry, yeah the po did pump rub fix, and I serviced the TC about two months ago, fluid was good, but swapped it out for valvoline synthetic ATF.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
did you check/replace the T case chain when you did the pump rub fix? mine would pop in 4wd and could feel it in the floor when the tcase chain had streched out.

blitzin247

Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
It is push button (but they both use actuators from what I've heard).

Also at cknight, yes it was only on hard well packed gravel,dirt/rocky surfaces that it would pop.

And trubbs, I didn't do the fix so I'm guessing it has the factory chain. Where did you get a new one?

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
It is push button (but they both use actuators from what I've heard).

Also at cknight, yes it was only on hard well packed gravel,dirt/rocky surfaces that it would pop.

And trubbs, I didn't do the fix so I'm guessing it has the factory chain. Where did you get a new one?

not sure if they are nation wide or not but, i went to my local big truck /drivetrain parts store (six states is the name) and gave them the specs on my tcase and the old chain and said i needed a new one, had one the next morning for me.
i wanna said it was like 114 or 140 but i cant remember anymore.

Last edited:

blitzin247

Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
Is your front suspension cranked?

Of course not! :roflmao: I just got done replacing all my ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, steering gear, and inner and outer tie rods and shocks.

My cv angles are excellent, just under straight.

EDIT: I should add that I replaced all those parts because my truck was abused before I bought it.

blitzin247

Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
Chain would be my first guess as well. But it could possibly be a weak or failing actuator too

Diff actuator or transfercase actuator?

It always makes a pop or grinding going in 4wd as well gets louder if I'm driving faster, I try to always slow down to 10mph or less I'd I have to engage 4hi on the fly though.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
You can test the front end actuator pretty easy with a helper. Just pull it out and have some one shift in and out of 4wd while you watch the actuator move. Be even better if you know someone with another one you can watch to compare. The case actuators are harder to test and watch. If you say the truck was abused though I bet everyone is right and it's the chain

blitzin247

Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
Hey guys, figured it is time for an update. So after this post it quit doing it, mostly because I was barely in 4 hi, didnt do it in 4lo, so, naturally, I went into the stage of denial, my truck is FINE!!!

Well right around Christmas time, I went back into the outback and there was about a foot of snow so in 4hi she went, then.....the horror! The popping that I was in denial about came back with a vengeance! It felt like my transmission and transfercase were going to rip themselves out of the truck.

Upon coming back home, safely, thank The Lord, I yanked that bad boy (literally) out of there. Turns out that my truck did not have the pump rub kit on it like I had assumed, and my pump was eating itself, and not pumping, with 10k on my synthetic valvoline it was as black as 200k miles, my chain had alot of slack, my 4 hi shift fork was eaten through and my mode synchronizers where ripped and worn. My mainshaft was shot due to bearing journal wear as well. So after rebuilding it, so far it has not done it again, it has been about 2 months. The real test will be when I go back out to the sticks! :baby:

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Sucks to hear about the pump rub supposedly being done and it wasn't. On a good note, good to hear you got it fixed.

I see in your sig you want to do a sas. With that I'd recommend swapping out the tcase for a 273.