4 Linked Duramax Thread

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I am ordering parts in the next few weeks to start the 4 link :D going to try to keep a thread going so people interested in doing it will have some reference on what they are getting themselves into . And it begins :baby: it will be a slow thread because it will take a while with the motor build in works and everything else but :rolleyes:

it should have enough adjustment built in to sled pull and drag race, but paper #'s arent alway's real life .

4link.gif

1107091835.jpg

And some weight shaving measures ;)

1107091832.jpg

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Biter:thumb::D, Every body and their brother is going to four link their trucks now:cool2:. A good book for ref is from Dave Morgan, or Chris Alstons book if you can still find it. Alstons has the most "Heavy Duty" four link system as well. They make a truck 3x2 four link "frame kit", but the material was not up to par with the weight.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Biter:thumb::D, Every body and their brother is going to four link their trucks now:cool2:. A good book for ref is from Dave Morgan, or Chris Alstons book if you can still find it. Alstons had the most "Heavy Duty" four link system as well. They make a truck 3x2 four link "frame kit", but the material was not up to par with the weight.

My four link sotware has a "dave morgan " sugestion built into it , if you look at the pic above that green box is his sugestion , but that doesnt count with 4 wheels turning :D

i found a company to get Bars made and i will make my own frame/axel brackets . they have bars they say will hold up , 1 1/8 thread , 1 5/8" bars , 1/4" thick wall tubing , I will use 1/4 thick material for the brackets ?

Last edited:

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
My four link sotware has a "dave morgan " sugestion built into it , if you look at the pic above that green box is his sugestion , but that doesnt count with 4 wheels turning :D

i found a company to get Bars made and i will make my own frame/axel brackets . they have bars they say will hold up , 1 1/8 thread , 1 5/8" bars , 1/4" thick wall tubing , I will use 1/4 thick material or the brackets ?

Cool, so the program would benifit my 2x4 project:hug:. It's fun choping up a truck huh!

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
how hard was it to remove the spare tire cross member? I have been wanting to remove mine to build a custom pulling hitch.

Took a cutting torch and blew out about 10 steel rivits and then beat it out with a hammer :D it wasnt too bad took 45 minutes but the bed has to be removed to do it , for those interested it weighs 55 lbs .

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Also fuel tank is getting ditched for a fuel cell and frame is being wacked off at the axle as it will no longer be needed other than to hold the sheet metal .

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Good Luck on the build, Trent. You look to have a decent garage area to work on the truck...thats always a plus. I still dont understand how you guys can afford all these builds...they sure arent cheap to do.

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Good Luck on the build, Trent. You look to have a decent garage area to work on the truck...thats always a plus. I still dont understand how you guys can afford all these builds...they sure arent cheap to do.

when you can do almost all of the labor yourself it can be done a lot cheaper...

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
when you can do almost all of the labor yourself it can be done a lot cheaper...

X2 4 link is only going to cost me 450.00 , it would be cheaper if i built the bars myself . All the weight reduction is free :) should be able to get 3-4 10ths faster just in weight reduction . I sold my caltracs for 250 so 200 extra for a 4link makes sence to me :D

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Right on Trent, can't wait to see how it turns out. Do you guys think a complete 4 link set up would weigh less than the factory rear suspension? I'll bet it would ride real nice on the street too.

Last edited:

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Trent, if you're using mild steel for the brackets I would go 1/4" plate and add an 1/8" plate scalloped to the actual bolt holes. Let me know if you need pics or help. It's right down my alley.:)

Also don't use too small a bolt or place the holes too close together. They tend to tear over time.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Trent, if you're using mild steel for the brackets I would go 1/4" plate and add an 1/8" plate scalloped to the actual bolt holes. Let me know if you need pics or help. It's right down my alley.:)

Also don't use too small a bolt or place the holes too close together. They tend to tear over time.

I'll give you a call Rick , I need all the help i can get :rofl: I know you've built many of top shelf race cars :cool2:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You doing a double triangulated, triangulated upper/parallel lower, or four parallel and a panhard bar?