4.6l explorer trans

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Hopefully mike sees this, haven't got any help anywhere else and I'm lost,
02' explorer 4.6 5 speed, always been flushed in 30k intervals, changed the first filter at 120k when the pump whine started, filter fixed that, serviced again at 150k, never had an issue before out of it.

So, last month when I first leave the house when cars cold, it slipped in second gear going uphill, not all the time and not a lot, had to pay attention to feel it.

Two weeks ago I put 490 miles on it off and on for work, drove home to see the baby and I stopped to get gas, left car run, went to leave and it started.

When it shifts from 1st to 2nd, it's slow and slips bad, once it's in 2nd gear it's fine, then the 2nd gear to 3rd gear shift is very harsh, slams into gear, 3-4 shift is perfect, 4-5 shift is perfect.

It has 182k and is due for service, not sure if it just needs the pcm reset for the 100gh time and a service or if I need to finally build the trans.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
I don't know if it would be worth rebuilding or replacing.

I can give you a hell of a deal on a reman Ford unit through my work if your interested.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I am too mike, I've had to reset the pcm several times for other issues like high idle and fuel trim issues.

Here's why I THINK the PCM is bad- this spring, wife calls raising hell said car was idling at 3 grand, I thought ok, idle control valve is bad again, so I changed it with no change,(returned part), then I replaced the idle position sensor, again no change.
I reset the PCM and bam, car idled at 650 just like it should, been fine since.

So... I know these bands get loose and the solenoids go out, so I was like it's probably one of the two. I have never had one hiccup out of this trans, so it seemed odd it just came out of nowhere.
That's why I reset the PCM and it's fine again, after relearning the shifts it's back to crisp and tight (for now). I am going to change filter and flush trans as it's been almost 30k.

Mike is there anything I can look at or for or change while the pan is off?? I'm gonna change the computer just because this is the fourth random issue I've had with 3 different things, just because it's the only electrical part I can change that has not been changed.

If the trans starts acting up again, what should I do, build it or buy a ford reman....or junk the car and buy something else.(hate to junk it as it's been paid for for 9 years and is in great shape, like real nice shape)
I changed out the