3rd gear slipping

dwax

Jul 21, 2009
after the new power of my twins, my transmission has been acting funny in 3rd. It feels like it never catches good and slips all the way through 3rd until the converter locks or hits 4th. It doesnt do it as bad from a 2nd gear punch on the road. but during a race, it shifts firm from 1st to 2nd, then weak 3rd shift and does not pull hard until it shifts gears again. It acts the same in tow/haul. and is worse with my tranny temp at 190 than at 120. I have the c1-c4 alto clutch packs, transgo, and precision T.C.. Could a co-pilot help me out or is it more likely my tranny isn built right?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I would not recommend the co pilot to any one. I've had nothing but trouble out of mine. Your list of trans parts makes it sound like you built it yourself, did you do the pump shim mod, you won't get any extra holding power without that?

dwax

Jul 21, 2009
i had a friend at the dealership build it who has built a few before but none that had the power i do. and no i do not have the pump shim mod that i am aware of.. i bought the parts from rob and just gave the big box of parts to my builder

dwax

Jul 21, 2009
I would not recommend the co pilot to any one. I've had nothing but trouble out of mine. Your list of trans parts makes it sound like you built it yourself, did you do the pump shim mod, you won't get any extra holding power without that?

and thanks for that info. i would hate to waste 1000 $!!

dwax

Jul 21, 2009
i changed the fluid and filter but still acts the same. i know this slippage is killing my E.T.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
what problems have you had with your co pilot. i love mine even without it up high when its time to beat on it the truck loves it and all around acts better with it on.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Sounds like your builder either didn't put all the parts in or something is wrong when it was put together. A basic transmission build with the parts described should hold the power your putting through it.

I would assume the line pressure mod is a staple for building the Allison. So most likely you were given the parts. Are they in there,?

dwax

Jul 21, 2009
Sounds like your builder either didn't put all the parts in or something is wrong when it was put together. A basic transmission build with the parts described should hold the power your putting through it.

I would assume the line pressure mod is a staple for building the Allison. So most likely you were given the parts. Are they in there,?

That is the question.. I guess it is time to freshen the tranny up.

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
Mine did the same thing on a built trans when the clutches were toast. It will only get worse, to a point that any medium throttling in 3rd will cause massive slip. My steels were concave like a saucer dish.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
If you put it in tow haul and select 3rd gear and roll into it does it slip and go into limp mode? I've never heard of an Ally sliping and not going into limp and setting codes. Could it be torque management or somethng. When I had my PPE my truck ran great but it would pull strong in first and second and feel a little dead in third like it was low on rail preasure and shift to fourth and pull hard on up. Same truck with completely the same setup but with different tuning it pulls clean through all the gears. I see you have Robs tuning, I would send him a log so he could look at it and at least eliminate the possibility of something in the tuning. He knows his stuff and could tell you allot just by looking at your log.

dwax

Jul 21, 2009
If you put it in tow haul and select 3rd gear and roll into it does it slip and go into limp mode? I've never heard of an Ally sliping and not going into limp and setting codes. Could it be torque management or somethng. When I had my PPE my truck ran great but it would pull strong in first and second and feel a little dead in third like it was low on rail preasure and shift to fourth and pull hard on up. Same truck with completely the same setup but with different tuning it pulls clean through all the gears. I see you have Robs tuning, I would send him a log so he could look at it and at least eliminate the possibility of something in the tuning. He knows his stuff and could tell you allot just by looking at your log.[/QUOT

Mine is acting exactly like that but has never limped. i will contact him to send a log