2wd with Caltracs

May 21, 2008
Stephenville Tx
I know every truck is diff but around how much preload are yall putting in?I started with 1/4 preload and got axle wrap pretty bad.I have no overload and 2in drop shackle and rancho 9000 set at 9 in back.I even tryed up to 2 full turns of preload and still hoping.Think I should put my clamps back on? And set back to 1/4?

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
IIRC, they say to get the pins to touch the springs, then go 3 flats of preload...I used them on my 2WD '05 with slicks (approx. 4 passes)...No wrap up or wheel hop, but I launched it soft (1.97 60' time)...

I'd try a lower setting on the rear shocks...Might help with load transfer...

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
I have ran Caltracs with Ranchos set on 9 without hop (soft launch- no boost yields 1.90 60'). What tire & pressures are you trying? Anything done the front suspension? Any weight moved rearward or added out back? I added several hundred pounds of weight behind the rearend and it seemed to help out.

I have since lowered my truck, added QA1 adj up front and will be trying the Caltracs with only 1-2 springs (and no overload). I am also putting the front end on a diet and will try leaving with the front sway bar removed. I'll post back once it sees the track.

May 21, 2008
Stephenville Tx
I have ran Caltracs with Ranchos set on 9 without hop (soft launch- no boost yields 1.90 60'). What tire & pressures are you trying? Anything done the front suspension? Any weight moved rearward or added out back? I added several hundred pounds of weight behind the rearend and it seemed to help out.

I have since lowered my truck, added QA1 adj up front and will be trying the Caltracs with only 1-2 springs (and no overload). I am also putting the front end on a diet and will try leaving with the front sway bar removed. I'll post back once it sees the track.

I was testing on the street with some nittos set at 35psi with about 5psi launch just to see if it would hop.Front suspension is all stock.Truck is at full weight.

How much preload did you have in it with the 9000's on?Cant you change pin locations on the front?

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
With my truck setting on level ground I adjust the Cal-Tracs to leave a very small air gap between the pin and the top leaf. I have tried a half turn of preload either side and it did not seem to make much difference in how the truck left.

May 21, 2008
Stephenville Tx
With my truck setting on level ground I adjust the Cal-Tracs to leave a very small air gap between the pin and the top leaf. I have tried a half turn of preload either side and it did not seem to make much difference in how the truck left.

Umm...I guess I will have to just play with it.I have tryed 1/4,1 full turn and 2 full turns.Are your springs clamped?