2nd oil analysis - your thoughts?

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
After installing the Snow MPG/Max H20/meth injection I had an oil analysis done (Sample 1). I was a little concerned with the results. But before I decided to rip out the engine I made a couple minor changes. I changed the oil, ran it about 1500 miles and changed it again. In addition to that I switched to only using sodium/mineral free water for the H20/meth injection. I ran the truck (my lbz) for another 5000 miles and did another oil analysis this is Sample 2 on the chart.

Aluminum, Silicon, Sodium, Potassium, and Magnesium are all way down on the second sample.

So are the 'high levels' really coming from the softened/tap water I was using? And are the high levels really ok because they werent coming from engine wear, but coming from the water?

Again the only changes I made were: change the oil, using the same brand, and change my water supply from home tap(softened) water and truckstop spickets to ONLY store bought sodium/mineral free water.

Last edited:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
samples were both taken with 5000 miles on the oil. Since the truck was new I have always changed the oil at 10,000 with a filter change and top off at 5000.

H20/meth is the stage 3 mpg/max. a slow steady drizzle of injection at highway speeds to boost MPG's. it also has 2 nozzles for 'power mode' but i've only used power mode twice, once during a dyno run and once playing with it after install.

The other question is: Is it ok to use tap water? based on these two oil analysis I think I want to stay with the mineral free.

Oh, I forgot, I split this sample and sent it to 2 labs. I was pretty concerned about that first analysis and wanted a second opinion. Still waiting back on the Blackstone results.

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I don't think that your tap water is what caused your 1st sample to spike, the water and meth. should be burning off completly.
I would pull another sample at 1000 miles. You need to make sure that the sample port is clean & free of dirt. Are you running a aftermarket air filter?

Last edited:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Only thing I changed in between samples was the water source and the oil. But I used the same brand of oil and filter.

I'm probably going to switch it back to tap/softened water and test again.