2020 Silverado 1500 Ecodiesel anybody going to buy one?

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Don't know if this is the right place to put this thread.
Thought I would share my new Baby D that I picked up yesterday. Pulls very nice and that 10 spd tranny shift really well. I believe I got the first one in Vancouver, Canada. Looked at the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel as well. It's nice but engine made in Italy and prev generations have had main bearing problems.
This Chev in line 6 I believe is a better engine and seems to beat the Ram in most categories.
I still will keep my built dually for pulling and just having some fun but this Baby D is one heck of a nice ride!

Attachments

• IMG_20191025_48533.jpg
    IMG_20191025_48533.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20191025_41780.jpg
    IMG_20191025_41780.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20191025_11426.jpg
    IMG_20191025_11426.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 180

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I dont know how/why you put it in the Garage Sale area, but I got it moved to Smoke Signals for the time being. We dont have a 1/2 ton diesel section....yet. :hehe:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I dont know how/why you put it in the Garage Sale area, but I got it moved to Smoke Signals for the time being. We dont have a 1/2 ton diesel section....yet. :hehe:

Just when I was about to make an offer on it, you moved it Tom.:(:roflmao:

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Hey Mike, have you ever been in the wrong plave at the wrong time? I'm just a crazy Canuck that didn't know where to post this. Oh well, the Canucks are playing the Capitals tonight. I hope we win!!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sorry, thanks fro moving it

Oh heck, no problem. I was wondering why you were trying to sell it, though. :hehe: You're the first person here to buy one. What kind of mileage are you seeing out of it brand new?

Sorry Mike....;)

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Nice ride, I like the look of them better than 2500.

X2

You must have bought it in the states or it must have been brought up. Tried to build one in Canada and that engine isn’t an option. Neither is the 6.6 gas in the HD yet.

Last edited:

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Oh heck, no problem. I was wondering why you were trying to sell it, though. :hehe: You're the first person here to buy one. What kind of mileage are you seeing out of it brand new?

Sorry Mike....;)

with normal driving in the city so far around 23 mpg but I will run it on the freeway and then let you know.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
X2

You must have bought it in the states or it must have been brought up. Tried to build one in Canada and that engine isn’t an option. Neither is the 6.6 gas in the HD yet.

No this was brought into the dealership in Vancouver as ordered by the dealership. how they got it I don't know but it came in on the train. I bought it within a few hours after it arrived at the dealer.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
I'd hate to be that guy....how much $ we talking for one? :D

In Canada this one was 70K, so about $53, 596 USD

Here is the most recent comparison to the Ram ecodiesel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InWHjP2Lttc&t=1s

Another Utube compares the ride and acceleration. The Silverado beats the Ram hands down. There a a fair amount of turbo lag in the Ram Ecodiesel

Checked and this isunit is built in Texas.

Right now getting 20 MPG city and i havent been just taking it easy with driving. I expect that once broken in I should get better mileage.

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
In Canada this one was 70K, so about $53, 596 USD

Here is the most recent comparison to the Ram ecodiesel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InWHjP2Lttc&t=1s

Another Utube compares the ride and acceleration. The Silverado beats the Ram hands down. There a a fair amount of turbo lag in the Ram Ecodiesel

Checked and this isunit is built in Texas.

Right now getting 20 MPG city and i havent been just taking it easy with driving. I expect that once broken in I should get better mileage.

Just hope that the emissions system proves to be reliable and you'll probably continue to get steady mileage. I've had my ecodiesel since new and started off at 27mpg average, saw highs of 31mpg when new. After 3 complete exhausts, 4 reflashes, and 96k miles, I now only get 23mpg average at best. Could be worse...in comparison, everyone else I know who has had an ecodiesel had major problems, mostly Rams.

pmurray

Oct 27, 2019
Will buy as soon as I can find a gmc. Been searching since before the strike, with no luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
Just hope that the emissions system proves to be reliable and you'll probably continue to get steady mileage. I've had my ecodiesel since new and started off at 27mpg average, saw highs of 31mpg when new. After 3 complete exhausts, 4 reflashes, and 96k miles, I now only get 23mpg average at best. Could be worse...in comparison, everyone else I know who has had an ecodiesel had major problems, mostly Rams.

yes I hear you. The problem with the Ram Ecodiesel is it was not built for North America and they had main bearing problems and finally switched oil because of it. I don't like the Ram diesel because of being built in Italy and as far as the third gen Ram Ecodiesel. It has a lot of turbo lag and it isn't built specifically for Ram or for that matter Chrysler vehicles. The GM or Chevy on the other hand was specifically built for the 1/2 ton pickup. It seems to be head and shoulder above Ram or Ford as far as performance goes.
That said, of course there may be emissions issues. Who knows but I think GM/Chev at least thought things out. Ball bearing turbo and they addressed issues of regen soot when they built it.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
yes I hear you. The problem with the Ram Ecodiesel is it was not built for North America and they had main bearing problems and finally switched oil because of it. I don't like the Ram diesel because of being built in Italy and as far as the third gen Ram Ecodiesel. It has a lot of turbo lag and it isn't built specifically for Ram or for that matter Chrysler vehicles. The GM or Chevy on the other hand was specifically built for the 1/2 ton pickup. It seems to be head and shoulder above Ram or Ford as far as performance goes.
That said, of course there may be emissions issues. Who knows but I think GM/Chev at least thought things out. Ball bearing turbo and they addressed issues of regen soot when they built it.

The VM Motori engine is actually a pretty solid design. I don't believe in the original oil spec being the cause of the bearing issues at all. I've used that oil at 10k mile interval changes since new and beat the crap out of it. I tow 7000 lbs once in a while and get it hot enough to smell the plastic intake manifold begging for mercy.

Also, GM owned a big stake in VM Motori during the design of this engine, up till about a year before it's release with FCA. I'm not sure what you mean that it wasn't built for the 1/2 ton? It's perfectly capable of the job, but seems plagued by build quality issues. Just my .02 cents.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
The VM Motori engine is actually a pretty solid design. I don't believe in the original oil spec being the cause of the bearing issues at all. I've used that oil at 10k mile interval changes since new and beat the crap out of it. I tow 7000 lbs once in a while and get it hot enough to smell the plastic intake manifold begging for mercy.

Also, GM owned a big stake in VM Motori during the design of this engine, up till about a year before it's release with FCA. I'm not sure what you mean that it wasn't built for the 1/2 ton? It's perfectly capable of the job, but seems plagued by build quality issues. Just my .02 cents.

There have been a lot of issue with main bearings on this Ram diesel engine. This new 3rd generation Ram engine is 80 % new so it may have solved the issues. What I mean by not built for the 1/2 ton is that it wasn't built specifically for the Ram. The GM/Chev ecodiesel inline 6 was built specifically for the GM/Chev 1/2 ton.
The Ram1500 ecodiesel is a good truck but i just think that at this point, at least in the recent independent tests shown on Utube, the GM/Chev ecodiesel is out performing the Ram.

catmenace

Jul 31, 2010
What are its performance numbers?

The 1500 Chevy looks waaaay better than the 2500 chevy. Congrats on that.

Performance numbers should be around 28 MPG. I am not getting that right now but have been driving in the city. I am around 23/24 city driving. The 10 speed transmission is seemless and doesn't jump around looking for gears.
These 2 utube vids show recent tests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InWHjP2Lttc&t=18s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63VcIeBiNog