2019 traverse - anyone here a GM tech?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I’m trying to upgrade my wife’s car to add a heated steering wheel. I installed a new wheel and everything is good so far. Now I’m onto the electronics. Her clock spring connector is the same shape as what the new wheel wants, but there aren’t the two pins on the clock side that the new wheel uses for the heater. I think I picked the right part number for the clockspring that I need but I’d love some confirmation before I order one and can’t return it. Part 84404719 looks correct. Might someone be able to check? Before anyone suggests that I ask a traverse forum member - good luck! No info on this and generally they think it’s a truck and go to the dealer to change the wipers, lol. No diy there unless it’s trim and wheels 😂🤦‍♂️

In case I’m not clear, I’m attaching pics of old connector, new connector with two extra wires on the right, and clockspring with no pins on right side.

Oh I almost forgot! I think I’m going to find heated wheel wires in the column. There’s a fuse in the slot for heated wheel in the under hood fuse box!

Thanks.

Attachments

• D25626F0-F434-4E63-B4F3-5A4743E8C5E5.jpeg
    D25626F0-F434-4E63-B4F3-5A4743E8C5E5.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 14
  • CB0B1BDE-D8A7-4E66-A431-30A95FF6C215.jpeg
    CB0B1BDE-D8A7-4E66-A431-30A95FF6C215.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 14
  • F77D9DC9-7102-4168-9256-5F3AE354358C.jpeg
    F77D9DC9-7102-4168-9256-5F3AE354358C.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 14

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I believe you have to change the clockspring to one for the heated wheel. I dont think its as simple as adding a couple wires. Then there's the possibility you need to have the BCM programmed, too.

Last edited:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
That’s why I’m trying to determine if I have picked the right replacement clockspring part number. As for the rest, if the wiring is there and works together great - if not, I’ll power it off a relay triggered by the ignition wire because I really don’t care if it integrates with the bcm.

The main issue at hand is getting the wiring from the steering wheel to under the dash :)

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
So I got part number 84532292 for clock spring for a 2019 Traverse. Parts told me this was correct for a vehicle with heated steering wheel RPO KI3. And it's a 16 circuit one. Other one said it was a 14 circuit.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Oh wow. When I looked on ebay there was a seller that had that backwards. Thanks so much for checking, or I would have ordered the wrong part! I found a used one already - but no wires. Once I get it in, I'll have to see if I need to add pins or if it's plug and play. I haven't pulled the column shrouds yet. Thanks again - this time of year is my busy season and I'm trying to get this done in a limited amount of time, with as few screwups as I can, LOL.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
That old number you first listed is correct. Just fyi. That’s the latest number I got from parts catalog. The parts department told me that 84404719 superseded to 84532292. GM lately is changing part numbers so much. It makes doing things like you’re doing more difficult nowadays

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Thanks it really is confusing. One diagram looks like it’ll come with an additional two-wire connector but actual pictures show that it does not. So it’s another order and see process. If I install it and pop the column and see that I need to buy an additional harness to activate the heat, then I’ll deal with that next. Lol. At least I plan to share all the details for the next guy - because it shouldn’t be this tough. Lol.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I got it all swapped over. Disappointingly, there was no wiring pressured for tue heated wheel. So I have to make two new wires and click them into the harness. Now I’m waiting on an add a fuse to tap power. I tested it with my Power Probe and works.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Where was the issue ? Did the column side harness not have the wires for heated wheel ? Steering wheel harness missing pins ? Or do you think it’s a programming issue ? I haven‘t seen one come through shop yet to take a quick glance at.

Reactions: N2BRK

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Very cool you got it to work. Sucks that GM didnt have a separate part number clockspring for the heated wheel.
Id love to add one to my wife's '15 Malibu, but I dont think it was even offered.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Where was the issue ? Did the column side harness not have the wires for heated wheel ? Steering wheel harness missing pins ? Or do you think it’s a programming issue ? I haven‘t seen one come through shop yet to take a quick glance at.
iPhones and big fingers don’t play well. Sorry for the stupid typos.

The new steering wheel to the clockspring you sourced the p/n for are a perfect mate and all pins are present and have wires attached.

Once I opened the column and removed the connector into the clockspring coming from the vehicle wiring harness, I saw that its connector was missing the two wires for the heater steering wheel. I was crossing my fingers that the wires would there because when I looked under the hood, there’s a 15A fuse in the slot for heated wheel, but no such luck.

Not knowing what pins to buy to add two wires, I removed two from her old steering wheel connector. I clicked them into the harness and that’s how I test powered the heat. Now they are sitting as bare ended wires waiting for me to finish wiring. I ordered an add a fuse to tap into that heated wheel fuse since it should be switched with the ignition.

My only concern is how thin the txl wiring is! It’s all 22ga. I can’t fathom how GM thinks a 15A fuse is ok with 22ga?! I’m scared to go over 5A or maybe 7A fuse.

Reactions: SmokeShow

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Very cool you got it to work. Sucks that GM didnt have a separate part number clockspring for the heated wheel.
Id love to add one to my wife's '15 Malibu, but I dont think it was even offered.

If you can find a picture (eBay was the best source for me) of a steering wheel that looks the same as hers in every way except the heater button, then you are part way there. Find a clockspring that will fit and offer extra pins. Then you’re golden. You can wire it stand alone like I’m doing. It won’t come on with the auto start but it it will work!

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I’m going to check today if there is a steering column harness available or if a person will always have to overlay an added circuit to make this work.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Fantastic, thanks! The add a circuit arrived yesterday and hopefully I can finish up this weekend. I'm working at least 12hr days 7 days a week now until mid-April, so it's tough to make progress. LOL. Gotta get it done before it warms up though, or what good is it for the wifey until next year, hahaha. Thanks for taking an interest and helping me!!!

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
So instead of how things use to be, it is no longer a steering column harness. Now it is part of the entire instrument panel harness! So yeah you are going about it the best route.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I wonder how they are dealing with the 2022's not getting standard options that they promise will be added later? Could be a mess.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Probably cause this chip shortage will last longer than anyone is led on to believe and they hope by that time people will just forget about it. Cause yes, it would be a mess having all these customers scheduled to have their accessories added on when it does become available.