2018 l5p high county U18A2 help

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm not sure Ethernet in a car will ever be at gigabyte speeds or even close to it and still be reliable. So much noise and interference in automotive electronics. Maybe in an electric car the signals can be clean enough to use it properly. Otherwise they will have to slow it way down so the bit length or timing is long enough to withstand the noise. Probably why the automotive standards like CANbus has persisted for so long.

It might be better to switch to fiber if they need those speeds in a vehicle. Virtually immune to noise and voltage fluctuations. The technology is mature enough

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Ethernet like CANbus, runs on twisted pairs, which by design, cancels out majority of electrical interference. Ethernet runs shielding, while canbus typically doesn't. But CANbus runs great on ethernet cable.

Some like VW and MB have been running fiber for the audio hardware for years. My 05 E320 had MOST between all the amps, CD changer and Sirius units.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2004LB7

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
We are switching over in the marine business to Ethernet based modules and phasing out the NEMA2000 networks. You think a car has noise, lol, boats are nothing but interference. It took quite some time to get it all sorted out but the networks are becoming very stable.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I'd love to check out your work @NC-smokinlmm to see what's hot for the big boats. I've been playing with SignalK a bit, attempting to live stream N2k engine and position telemetry for APBA / P1 offshore boats. But SignalK seems to lack on the development side, so I'm considering writing my own N2k-Ethernet gateway.

For the most super secret propritary CANbus protocol out there, as a Non-NMEA member, I can reverse engineeer N2k paramaters and release my own hardware faster than the big dog manufactures can update their MFD firmware. The whole N2k group is running 10yrs behind the times in my book. If ya ever need any programble Jack Plate or basically anything else ADC related converters, just hit me up.. Working on a new FuelTech N2k gateway firmware for a new Skater right now..

I'm certaily with ya on the interference in a boats. I've litterly ate fresh paint off low units in just one day running these Diesels spinining big surfacing cleavers without zincs attached. Salt water is the chitz for creating free electricty.. lol

Back on our origional topic, I noticed the "CANbus Plugs" on Fleebay are not ever twisted pair. When ya stick 4 of those in series, ya have well over a foot of non-twisted wires on your main network. Which opens up the potiental for bus errors if anyting close is radiating. IE Driveshaft.. CANbus is actaully pretty solid if ya just follow a few simple rules. Yet I spend an hour every day teaching old techs the basics about CAN.