2016 LML Burned to the ground

FISH BAIT

Jun 21, 2019
Has anyone else heard of a 2016 LML 3500 with 40k randomly catching fire. Pullin a 12k horse trailer through west Texas the truck started to lose power and noticed white smoke in the rearview. by the time we got pulled over there were flames coming out from under the hood. 15 minutes later the cab was completely gone! No check engine lights engine and trans temps were good. I have no clue what the hell happened. I've been a die hard GM guy all my life but this has me wondering.

Thank FB

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
I’ve heard of them burning to the ground at 39k and 41k but never at 40k miles. . . . .

It sucks it happened, but one freak accident that you don’t even know what caused it and you are suddenly “wondering” :rolleyes:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I wouldn't be questioning about getting another GMC because of this. All manufacturers have had their share of vehicle fires. I for one have seen more Ford's burned to the ground then any other. I'll admit I haven't seen to many but there seems to be no particular brand more susceptible then another

Do you think it may have been in regen when it happened? Maybe leaking diesel from the 9th injector into the exhaust?

FISH BAIT

Jun 21, 2019
I’ve heard of them burning to the ground at 39k and 41k but never at 40k miles. . . . .

It sucks it happened, but one freak accident that you don’t even know what caused it and you are suddenly “wondering” :rolleyes:

"Yea" You Drop 70k on a truck and it burns down pulling 1/2 of what its rated for. But I get that it was probably just a freak thing.

FISH BAIT

Jun 21, 2019
I wouldn't be questioning about getting another GMC because of this. All manufacturers have had their share of vehicle fires. I for one have seen more Ford's burned to the ground then any other. I'll admit I haven't seen to many but there seems to be no particular brand more susceptible then another

Do you think it may have been in regen when it happened? Maybe leaking diesel from the 9th injector into the exhaust?

It wasnt

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
"Yea" You Drop 70k on a truck and it burns down pulling 1/2 of what its rated for. But I get that it was probably just a freak thing.

This is what insurance is for.

Have the damage assessed for cause and then start your speculating. Otherwise this thread is going nowhere

FISH BAIT

Jun 21, 2019
I keep going back to a bad transmission line or fuel lime, myself. The fire started in the passenger side engine compartment, best we can tell from where the flames came out when the truck got stopped. I just wondered if anyone else has seen this. Now my only hope is that the insurance company will get right on the $$. Im trying to upload some pics, but I don't think there is enough truck left to assess.

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
Guy I know lost a 12 lml to a grid heater fire. If memory serves, same description as you. Smoke from tailpipe followed shortly by flames from under hood. He was able to get it out, and it was clearly caused by the grid heater.