2015 Duramax exhaust leak

Grumpa

Jan 21, 2024
Ohio
Everything has been deleted emission
been noticing smoke in cab more and more
so bad burning eyes and throat
was driving home felt like something let go
about little over 2000 rpm same drive got on freeway don’t rag on it running constant speed 70 everyday then the power kinda jerk lost RPM all gauges fine, sounds different like a exhaust leak in engine bay
didn’t give much gas still drove home but sounds baffled up in engine bay, just limped it home nothing crazy reg speed didn’t give to much gas, got home it has black soot on upper firewall on transmission tube,turbo pipe in that area looks like rubber boot, pretty sure it blew or has a leak somewhere on that pipe any suggestions, and does that sound like turbo leak issue thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
A) What year truck we talking about?
B) Other than cursory look, what have you actually checked on the exhaust?
C) Aftermarket exhaust piping on truck?

If I had to guess based on lack of information, the front pipe came disconnected from the engine downpipe. Check that connection and refit/reconnect it.

Grumpa

Jan 21, 2024
Ohio
A) What year truck we talking about?
B) Other than cursory look, what have you actually checked on the exhaust?
C) Aftermarket exhaust piping on truck?

If I had to guess based on lack of information, the front pipe came disconnected from the engine downpipe. Check that connection and refit/reconnect it.

Sorry 2015, all emissions deleted before I got truck yes everything aftermarket everything looks good, only thing I’m seeing is a lot of black soot around transmission stick and fire wall wondering if it’s the rubber boot on the boost pipe,really I don’t know to much about the diesel’s, cleaning my garage but not sure if I’m taking it somewhere due to work

Grumpa

Jan 21, 2024
Ohio
So narrowed it down to under resonator
took it off it the smoke is coming from that area

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
With seeing soot on the firewall I would lean toward either the EGR riser bellow cracked/broke or the bellow in the passenger side up-pipe failed. Both would cause your issue and both would be in that area.

I say either as I do not know if whomever deleted your truck used an LB7 style up-pipe (no EGR riser) or if they used blocker plates.