2012 Silverado Duramax intermittently won't crank

2012 DMAX

Nov 4, 2012
Southwest IA
Is seems like ever since the check engine light came on a few months ago (we rarely drive this pickup nowadays) I've had trouble starting my pickup, but it could be a coincidence. Most times it will crank and start as soon as I turn the key. Cranks fast and starts immediately. Then if I drive somewhere and shut it off, it won't crank. Oh, the factory remote start has stopped working too. It won't work at all, but if I go out to the pickup it will start with the key. Sometimes. It's been getting worse and more frequent. I sat in the grocery store parking lot this afternoon for 20 minutes trying this an that including Neutral with no luck. Then out of nowhere while I'm turning the key it will crank and start right up. 99k miles on the truck and it's bone stock. Any ideas ?

Could it be related to the check engine light being on ? Since the problem shows up the most when the engine is warm it reminds me of starter problems.... like a brush hanging up. Any ideas ? Thanks.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Could it be related to the check engine light being on ? Since the problem shows up the most when the engine is warm it reminds me of starter problems.... like a brush hanging up. Any ideas ?
It could be lots of things. Make sure your batteries are fully charged for starters. Remove anything plugged into your diagnostic port and anything that is an aftermarket electronics, like radio, remote start, etc. Sure would be nice if you could stop by a parts store and get your code read.
The reason the ECM stores those codes is to help you when you have problems. You should avail yourself of the help offered.

Reactions: TheBac

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved To LML section.

Nobody will be able to even start helping without you first getting the codes read and doing basic diagnostics. (although Ron is trying)