2011 LML Allison LCT 1000 Swap

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Good evening I’m looking for any info on can you take a 2011 LML Allison 1000 and fit it in a 01-06 body style truck. I’m working on a 02 LB7 Truck 4x4 with an original LCT Allison. The truck has seen years of service and the C3 finally started slipping due to a converter lockup issue. It got hot and hurt the clutches on a haul.

What I want to know has anyone ever tried this and is it possible to do including the transfer case I have access to a 2011 Allison and it’s a steal as far as price and especially for the milage on the unit.

Hope some members can shed some light.

P.S. the original transmission I had already did my own 6 speed swap and custom calibration so control is of no issue to me already using a lml valve body and proprietary tune file.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
It certainly CAN be done. You'll need to swap the bellhousing, extension housing, shift selector shaft, NSBU, valvebody/harness. I believe the stator support can stay with the LML trans.

Honestly you can rebuild it with OEM parts for around the same cost and have a 100% fresh trans vs a used trans. There are some pretty simple/cheap ways to increase clutch counts to get to a easy 500-550whp capable trans.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Ya I just wanted to see what you guys thought I already finished up over the weekend. The swap and everything is installed just installed the c3 oiler PTO covers. I’ll make a write up with pics on my next thread.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Here are some pics everything is in and working just need to finish up my transfer case wiring and get the awd set up working as well as other 4wd modes.

I love wiring and making things work that others say are a issue. This is my little brothers truck I’m a ford man but love all American vehicles.

The interior in the truck is a true fully swapped Escalade platinum set up with everything from wiring to functions integrated into the D-Max

Attachments

• IMG_3383.jpeg
    IMG_3383.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3412.jpeg
    IMG_3412.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3562.jpeg
    IMG_3562.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3565.jpeg
    IMG_3565.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3571.jpeg
    IMG_3571.jpeg
    410.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3359.jpeg
    IMG_3359.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3370.jpeg
    IMG_3370.jpeg
    492.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3372.jpeg
    IMG_3372.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3361.jpeg
    IMG_3361.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Lennydmaxguy

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Here are some pics of the original trans and new with the stage 2 converter installed before it went up to be installed. The original (02) held up great and I converted it as well to a 6 speed but it was old and the C3 started slipping so it was time. Had a stage 1 Florida torque converter and the new setup has a stage 2 Florida torque converter.

Attachments

• IMG_3352.jpeg
    IMG_3352.jpeg
    513.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3320.jpeg
    IMG_3320.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3323.jpeg
    IMG_3323.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3350.jpeg
    IMG_3350.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3348.jpeg
    IMG_3348.jpeg
    558.3 KB · Views: 15

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Ya how new? A 2011 won’t bolt up to the rear housing of a 01-07 classic Allison it’s completely different. The transfer case is a NP263 the electronics changed on the 07-10 cases mp1625 / mp1626 but rear trans bolt up I believe remains the same. Then the 11 lml case has a completely different bolt up and case part mp1626. The 01-09 will physically bolt up and can work with the 01- early 10 trans but in 11 the rear of the Allison changed completely in the lml.

I have a 2011 lml trans mated to my lb7 02 Duramax. The trans changed quite dramatically in the 2011 year with most parts not interchangeable to a point.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Here is the rear of a 2011 Allison vs the bolt up of the older style transfer case.

first and last pic are of the 2011 lml Allison transfer case pics are the older bolt pattern as you can see it won’t mate up without some changes to the transmission.

Attachments

• IMG_3331.jpeg
    IMG_3331.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3495.jpeg
    IMG_3495.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3316.jpeg
    IMG_3316.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 13

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Yes I understand that you can't swap a 2011+ case to an older transmission, I was questioning the electronic side sorry

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Ya for sure anything is possible but you gotta make sure things are wired properly and the older controller has the functionality need to control the TC. I’m sure it wouldn’t be to hard to swap a 07-09 body style TC into a 01-06 truck the case it self will bolt up to the Allison. Then all you will need to do is change your connectors and wiring to match the updated case electronics.

My ford has a lot of this kind of stuff going on it’s a 2008 expedition 5.4 that is basically being told it’s a 2014 mustang roush 5.0 . But at that point you really need to know what you are doing as far as the calibration or it won’t run properly.

Same applies to my little brothers 02 Duramax it has all the interior system of a 05 Escalade esv platinum. But the truck still thinks it’s a 03-05 lb7 Duramax. Then you throw a 6 speed in the mix and without the proper know how the trans will not shift properly and won’t achieve that last gear. It will only go 1-5 instead of 1-6. The project turned out great I have a few little interior parts to finsh as well as a 2nd row console for the captain seats. But he is always busy and I only have so much time as I work on it. I’ll take some interior pics but it’s a 1 of a kind set up especially how we did it.

Trying to get him to let me wire in the traction control since I’m already running the 05 Escalade abs module. But he doesn’t like traction control lol.

Next thing I’ll probably do to his truck is run the newer rear axle with the wheel speed sensors if I can get him to go for it.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
The engine harness in the 02 dmax is a 03 lb7 harness mixed with a full 05 Escalade platinum wire harness mixed through out the truck. A lot of integration was done and happy to report the best part there are no engine lights or abs lights on this truck. The only light I have is the traction control light which I have the parts to fix and the airbag light due to a couple bad sensors I have to replace.

The truck now has tire pressure system and all the functionality of a 05 Escalade platinum as well as reverse sensing system that came with the Escalade.

It’s wild what can be done to make an older truck have those things they were missing back when they came out. But again anything is possible when you put your mind to it and don’t give up.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
I actually have a couple extra tcms preprogrammed and an extra 10-19 valve body available ready to just bolt into a 01-05 Duramax and get that 6th gear. On the lly you will need a couple shorter bolts at the front of the valve body due to it not having the raised extra solenoid there. 01-03 guys are fine 04 lb7 with the extra solenoid will also need a few 01-02 valve body bolts also.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Swapping to 03-07 Dmax wiring opens up a lot of possibilities for cross-options like that. Honestly nothing new, but always cool.

Traction control and TPMS was done years ago by duratothemax (Ben), too. Again, cool as all get out.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
I’ll report back soon my little brother took the truck down to Florida this weekend and I’ll let know how it drives with my current calibration in it.

He said the stage 2 Florida torque converter felt good going down hills and up since have a lot here in North GA was better than tha stage 1 he had prior.

What I noticed the other day on a drive is the trans is silky smooth once it learns all its adapts it’s like driving in my uncles 2015 lml it’s just that smooth.

The old set up was good also but that trans had over 250k on it and was getting tired but that with the stage 1 and my 6 speed swap felt great as well. Worlds better than the stock 5 speed calibration gm ran in those lb7 trucks.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Swapping to 03-07 Dmax wiring opens up a lot of possibilities for cross-options like that. Honestly nothing new, but always cool.

Traction control and TPMS was done years ago by duratothemax (Ben), too. Again, cool as all get out.
Yes but not with a Escalade system was it that’s my question? I do think some dmax trucks came with traction control stock if I’m not mistaken the 05 or possibly the 06 lbz?

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Has anyone ran a 11 lml case and transfer case in there 02-06 classic body Duramax not sure but want to know? Cool if my little brother and I are the first but if not everything seems to be working great which is always awesome.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
I think I have seen some guys attempt to put the Escalade interiors in and try to get all the stuff working not sure how far they went. We actually bought a whole truck and gutted it for the stuff he wanted. I mean it’s basically all in there wiring seats all the good stuff the trucks don’t have for those older years. The a/c front and rear seats are probably the best part in my opinion as well as the heated and cooled cup holders.

The diesel stuff is nice and these trucks are built to last when taken care of as well as it’s better than spending a ton of money on these new trucks as I’m sure we all know how much they cost now a days.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yes but not with a Escalade system was it that’s my question? I do think some dmax trucks came with traction control stock if I’m not mistaken the 05 or possibly the 06 lbz?

I think I have seen some guys attempt to put the Escalade interiors in and try to get all the stuff working not sure how far they went. We actually bought a whole truck and gutted it for the stuff he wanted. I mean it’s basically all in there wiring seats all the good stuff the trucks don’t have for those older years. The a/c front and rear seats are probably the best part in my opinion as well as the heated and cooled cup holders.

The diesel stuff is nice and these trucks are built to last when taken care of as well as it’s better than spending a ton of money on these new trucks as I’m sure we all know how much they cost now a days.
An Escalade is just another GM truck. They are all the same underneath the name. It wouldnt be that difficult to swap parts over to a Silverado or Sierra, program the BCM (if needed) and away you go. Many, many of us swapped the Escalade/Denali parts over, or added the Lux Bose amp and speaker setup. Thats my interior now....all Denali.

Adding anything else is just as simple, really. Now, you doing it to an 02....that takes thinking. As you found, you've got to pretty much change the whole truck over to 03-07 wiring. I bet you changed the dash to fit the radio and HVAC too?

Honestly, its a lot of fun doing swaps like this. :) Congrats to you.

As to the newer trans into the older truck....I have no idea if it would work. I cant say anyone has ever done it before. Would probably have to see how the respective TCMs operates the two transmissions and how they communicate with other modules (esp ECM), then adapt new harnesses and sensors and programming. It might work.

Reactions: 2004LB7