2008 4wd LMM w/ weird problem. Trans for TC related. I'm at a loss

rickb

Sep 27, 2013
I hope someone can help me with an idea of what could possibly be the problem. I have a Kodiak Trucks transfer case installed recently, and it was successfully programmed/learned. When getting up around highway speeds, something weird happens intermittently. It's almost like something binds up just briefly, but it will make your heart jump out of your chest. I've tried to manual shift it and only letting it go to 5th gear and it still does it. I did drive about 12 miles only allowing it to shift up to 4th gear and either I got lucky or maybe that helped. Not sure!

My BIG question, is it coincidental it only did this after the transfer case replacemen or is it TC related??? I have no idea. I have also verified my truck was physically in 2wd and unplugged the TC actuator and it still has this symptom.

I don't know if my TCM could be the issue or the TCCM? I'm at a total loss!

2008 Duramax w/EFI Live and Kory Willis tunes & FASS fuel pump. Stock Turbo and Injectors

Many Thanks for any info!
Rick

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Is this in a Kodiak, or did you install the divorced transfer case out of a Kodiak into a regular pickup?

Can you describe what the problem is in more detail? Do you feel it like someone stabbed the brakes or just a sound/RPM change? Does it happen right at a shift or while you are sitting in gear? While accelerating or steady cruise?

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Does this match yours?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
That is the brand from a shop called Kodiak Trucks. They are beefed up (supposed to be stronger than OEM). https://kodiaktruck.com/
Technically they're weaker than OEM as they machine the shaft to install a roller bearing setup instead of relying on fluid to keep things separated. In high HP applications Mark will omit that modification.

Mark and their crew there do a killer job and do in my opinion make one of the better cases on the market. We typically use/recommend them or Merchant.

rickb

Sep 27, 2013
Does this match yours?

It sounds similar. Except not quite harsh enough to chirp the tires. But close! I have had both front and rear differentials and the transmission serviced all at once. Still does it. And again, my transfer case is newly rebuilt (exchanged old for core) by Kodiak Trucks shop.

rickb

Sep 27, 2013
Technically they're weaker than OEM as they machine the shaft to install a roller bearing setup instead of relying on fluid to keep things separated. In high HP applications Mark will omit that modification.

Mark and their crew there do a killer job and do in my opinion make one of the better cases on the market. We typically use/recommend them or Merchant.
Well, I hope I didn't screw up then. Mark did not ask me if my truck was beefed up. It's no monster or anything but pretty strong.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well, I hope I didn't screw up then. Mark did not ask me if my truck was beefed up. It's no monster or anything but pretty strong.
Long story short you're fine, that's big power when issues start to crop up with the turned down main shafts. Like 1000hp+ before I'd even worry.

rickb

Sep 27, 2013
Long story short you're fine, that's big power when issues start to crop up with the turned down main shafts. Like 1000hp+ before I'd even worry.
Good deal! I'm no where near that. Maybe 1/2 lol. Thanks!