2006 lbz how to use bluetooth on stock headunit?

Mainecobra

Sep 19, 2014
I know there is a way to do this. Ive heard swapping out onstar modules from a 2009 silverado will allow the bluetooth to work on my 2006 lb7? Any input would be great . I dont need onstar just want to be able to use bluetooth on my stock set up. Thanks guys

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Wow that is great info. Thought that I would have to change everything, definitely be looking into doing this!
Thanks to the Op for the great question and thanks to you for the answer.:thumb:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Oh and that will make for a good gift to the little women as it should work in her Tahoe as well. The joy $99. will bring to her will mean I will be allowed more mod to my truck :hug:

Mainecobra

Sep 19, 2014
Yea thats not what ive read. I heard tat u can change the onstar module which is under the passenger side glove box to a 09 and u will lose onstar but gain bluetooth capability. Just wanted to see if anyone on here has done this upgrade. Swapping just the mirror i dont think gives u bluetooth as u need the different module and the antenna.

Mainecobra

Sep 19, 2014
And i have onstar in my mirror already. The 06 is just not bluetooth ready even though i have steering wheel controls , mic ect. Thats why it makes sense to change the module which has the blue tooth electronics. Just need to make sure which module to get. Im sure someone on here has done this upgrade.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I believe what you are thinking of is made by CoSTAR: http://costartech.com/

It replaces your OnStar module and gives you bluetooth instead. You do lose OnStar, though. I have not bought one, but I keep meaning to get one. Maybe when I am done with the motor build.

Mainecobra

Sep 19, 2014
Your right was looking up FMV mirrors they are cheap. How do they wire in though? Looks like hiding that thick cable may be hard. Have you done the swap?

Mainecobra

Sep 19, 2014
Looks from the onstar FMV site says that 2005 and newer chevy silverado with factory installed onstar ( like mine has) are not compatable .

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Correct onstar will be useless. You don't have to Run any wires. I just use the power wires going to the old mirror since OnStar can't be retained. Something to do with it tries to register your Vin to the OnStar and it won't let it because its already registered.

Basically you keep OnStar and have no Bluetooth, or get the new mirror and ditch OnStar.

Mainecobra

Sep 19, 2014
Did you run this set up in your truck? And do you know if the steering wheel controls on my truck will work? Thanks for all your help by the way.

Mainecobra

Sep 19, 2014
Thanks guys. Looks like the simple connect is the way to go. But not sure how long im gonna keep my iphone 4s. Probally gonna get the iphone 6 at somepoint.