2005 vs 2007

yooperguy

Sep 30, 2014
I'm new to buying a duramax and I am looking at two different trucks and wondering if I could get some insight.
One is a 2007 with 166,000 miles which was owned by a contractor so it is a little rough. It has newer tires, rock gaurd, and z71. Picture included.
The other one for about the same price is a 2005 with 120,000 miles and it has been owned by an older person which has me think it has had an easy life.
I am looking for reliability so any input would be great.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412112855.919373.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412112855.919373.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412112855.919373.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 92

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
buy the 05 with less miles.. both are good trucks, 6 speed in the 07 would be alittle better but if the truck was not well maintained or had a rough life I would not mess with it.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Get the lmm (07). The lly (05) has known issues that were addressed on the newer truck, plus the lmm will hold its value much better for you over the next 5 years or so...

yooperguy

Sep 30, 2014
So if I get the 07 all checked out and it all looks good, that would be the better truck even though it has a more miles?
I think it is mostly rough on the interior.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I'm new to buying a duramax and I am looking at two different trucks and wondering if I could get some insight.
One is a 2007 with 166,000 miles which was owned by a contractor so it is a little rough. It has newer tires, rock gaurd, and z71. Picture included.
The other one for about the same price is a 2005 with 120,000 miles and it has been owned by an older person which has me think it has had an easy life.
I am looking for reliability so any input would be great.
View attachment 35241

that LMM looks hammered, I wouldn't buy it...
besides, I've never known contractor dudes to be too great to their rigs, you can tell when they do care and judging by the pic you provided, that guy didn't...buying a rig owned by an old guy isn't always desirable either...

I hate these types of threads, asking about which one to buy when the rigs are so different and had such different lives.....

1st
there's a pretty significant difference between an LMM and a pre 05.5 LLY
and actually, there's a pretty significant difference between a post 05.5 LLY and an LMM and each has a distinct set of pro's/con's

2nd
there's so much involved in the question that needs to be evaluated in person, sure pics are great but it's gonna take a dozen or so specified pics of each rig to give you a decent answer, a real answer

lastly, you need to inform yourself before you buy a diesel, with research, allot of it, before you spend your hard earned money on any diesel. You shouldn't buy one over another because ones cheaper, and honestly, you shouldn't be looking at rigs solely based off price point at all, because you can find LB7's and LMM's for the same price.

It would be in your best interest to figure out what you're needing the rig to do, how many miles a month/year it's gonna drive, work, play, and then have an idea about if you're going to modify it and how much you'll modify it.

I knew I wanted an LBZ when I bought my rig, so I looked for months until I found one, over those months I had to go up in the price I was willing to pay and give up on the exterior color I really wanted, but in the end I got a really nice truck at a fair price that I love. And knowing exactly what I was looking for made the buying experience a whole lot easier...but knowing what I know now, I would've accepted an 05.5 LLY
;)

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
that LMM looks hammered, I wouldn't buy it...
We don't all have your high standards, Jason :hug:

I bought my 2003 with 210,000 miles from a construction company. Interior was dirty, switches are worn, bed is beat, etc. Nearly 100,000 miles later, and I haven't had any more problems than if I got it from an old man.

These engines are tough. The only real way to hurt them is with stupid tuning. Stock, or even with a mild tune, you can't hurt the motor with the throttle. And they will run for a ton of miles.

You can beat up the body, though. You can wear out shocks, bushings, etc. Rough roads will loosen interior panels leading to squeaks/rattles. Easiest way to see is just test drive it, and go over some rough roads for a bit.

In the end, you have to decide what matters to you. I bought my truck as a truck (to work), so cosmetics (and miles) didn't bother me. (I have since gone wrong, and started hopping up my motor. Don't judge me :roflmao:).

Want my $0.02? If you don't mind the new body style, get the LMM (2007). It is a solid motor, and the LLY has some occasional issues (some overheat for no reason). The LMM also has an extra gear, which is nice. The LLY has very little emissions equipment, if you decide to modify the truck and live in an area that cares about that stuff.

But really, like Jason said, ask yourself if you need a diesel. Why are you buying a diesel truck vs. a gasser? Because the cost savings in fuel will dissapear into the purchase price premium and MUCH higher maintenance/repair costs. If you aren't driving the truck 20,000 miles a year or more, or towing really heavy, you are probably better off with a gas truck, IMO.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
That pic never showed up yesterday. I'd prolly go with the LMM like said. The LLY has its own issues especially if your going to work it, if not its prolly make you a good truck, if you want to work your truck a bit and want more power stock and less issues, by the 07' and enjoy it.

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
I'd say go with the 07 if all feels fine on the test drive. Get it detailed and enjoy it.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I would go with the 05. The 07 has a DPF and it's the first year of the LMM. LLY's are pretty damn reliable, do you plan on towing massive loads?