12v cummins

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Got a bud buying a 12v reg cab 4x4 5spd. I'm excited about his build. He used to have one, says it was a beast and missed it ever sense he bought his CR 5.9.

He is a very knowledgeable diesel tech, being around them for quite a while. Should be a decent little build.

Going to be a little competition in the air! I'm going to need twins!

---------------------------------
08 LMM Chevy CCSB
Relentless Diesel trans
JoshH EfiLive tuning
554hp 1014ft-lbs 7/30/11

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I'll take either...just can't be one up'd!

08 LMM Chevy CCSB
Relentless Diesel trans
JoshH EfiLive tuning
554hp 1014ft-lbs 7/30/11

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
As long as you're racing from a stop, his chances aren't very good unless he gets absolutely nutty with power. How many 11sec trucks are there rowing gears? Not many! Now how many D/A are there in the 11s? Several. :D

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
As long as you're racing from a stop, his chances aren't very good unless he gets absolutely nutty with power. How many 11sec trucks are there rowing gears? Not many! Now how many D/A are there in the 11s? Several. :D

Thats what I was thinking too. He claimed his old one was stupid fast, and beat a lot of 12sec trucks but he was also a teenager at the time and we all know how stories from the past can get stretched.

If I can hit the 600hp mark he will have to have a ton of power to row gears and keep up (pending I keep mine together). He's going to be running a big single.

I have a feeling its going to be more big talk than anything. He knows his stuff for sure, no doubt about that. But I think he'll be more conservative than he is talking.

Either way, it's going to be a nice truck and should be a strong runner!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Most super badass fast 12 valves that I've seen around these parts run in the 13s and 14s. Not saying they can't make power and be fast, but most of the rednecks around here driving those trucks just turn up the pump and think it's fast because it smokes out everything in it's path. Also, not saying that's how your friend is, but what I'm saying is it takes more that just a little tweaking on the pump to make power with those trucks. It isn't as easy as some of the Cummins guys make it out to be.

darkside

Sep 15, 2011
left coast
They are a fun to play with. They can get up and boogie with fairly minor tweeking. I had one for many yrs. Just sold it to buy a max. I miss the cummins already, but Im liking the chevy too.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'll take either...just can't be one up'd!

08 LMM Chevy CCSB
Relentless Diesel trans
JoshH EfiLive tuning
554hp 1014ft-lbs 7/30/11

you will be fine, hes gunna need injecotrs, delivery valves, time to tune his fuel plate, change his timing to 18*+, headstuds, a big turbo (atleast s366 which is BIG for cummins guys unlike us), a good p-pump, probably have to ditch the factory lift pump too for a bigger one, and some other crap im forgetting just to keep up with you. And thats if all is working as it should! I would not worry at all. my buddy had all of the above minus delivery valves and used a s364. he made a whopping 450hp on the dyno and with jsut a tune, lift pump, built trans and exhaust i could pull him on the freeway. His truck was on 35s and is a ex/lb compared to mine too :D

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Most super badass fast 12 valves that I've seen around these parts run in the 13s and 14s. Not saying they can't make power and be fast, but most of the rednecks around here driving those trucks just turn up the pump and think it's fast because it smokes out everything in it's path. Also, not saying that's how your friend is, but what I'm saying is it takes more that just a little tweaking on the pump to make power with those trucks. It isn't as easy as some of the Cummins guys make it out to be.

In most cases you are absolutely correct! But this guy will be doing everything right. He will not be just sliding or installing a fuel plate and calling it quits. Found out he is going to be running a S3xx series single for now (pulling the one off his common rail).

He is a very smart guy, very mechanical minded. I trust him with any of my stuff, he's like a brother. I know this is going to be a nasty truck! I'm probably as excited as he is about the purchase!! going to check it out at his house tonight when he gets back.

I already told him I'm going to put a hood stack on it after he goes to bed...or at least cut the hole for one so he has to!! lol

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Yeah, I wasn't dogging the ol dinosaur. ;) I too had a 12 valve once & it was a lot of fun. Miss it some days just because of the good memories I had in that truck.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Sounds like its time to step it up a notch.

I wondered when you would chime in! I need a sponsor...you and Eric look like sponsor material! Lol

08 LMM Chevy CCSB
Relentless Diesel trans
JoshH EfiLive tuning
554hp 1014ft-lbs 7/30/11

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
In most cases you are absolutely correct! But this guy will be doing everything right. He will not be just sliding or installing a fuel plate and calling it quits. Found out he is going to be running a S3xx series single for now (pulling the one off his common rail).

He is a very smart guy, very mechanical minded. I trust him with any of my stuff, he's like a brother. I know this is going to be a nasty truck! I'm probably as excited as he is about the purchase!! going to check it out at his house tonight when he gets back.

I already told him I'm going to put a hood stack on it after he goes to bed...or at least cut the hole for one so he has to!! lol
It definitely sounds like he's going all the way with it. I wasn't saying your buddy was the typical Cummins owner. I was just saying the way some Cummins guys talk, you just turn a few screws and get 500 HP. Like James said, he'll need delivery valves, injectors, bigger turbo, possibly need to have the pump benched depending on how old it is, etc. Definitely not like some guys make it out to be. You have to remember, those motors are at most, 215 HP stock. That's a long way to go to get 500. You go from stock to 350, and it feels like a massive increase (which it is) but still nowhere near a Duramax with even just tune that is safe for the stock transmission.

Oct 21, 2009
What year cummins just curious not that it matters. You can some preety cheap twins if u have some fab skills. Least ur friend lucked out as far as price on parts. Everything on those 12v are cheap turbos injectors, no worries on bending a rod;)

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
It's a 95 which I believe has the 180 pump like the autos. He will be changing delivery valves, rack travel, timing, etc. I don't know much about it but hope to learn a little during his project.

It's pretty rough on the exterior so he will be putting some body work in. It was an old farm truck that the farmer bought new in 95. Hard life!

08 LMM Chevy CCSB
Relentless Diesel trans
JoshH EfiLive tuning
554hp 1014ft-lbs 7/30/11

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
A customers truck went 536 on a s362, a small cam, ground plate, afc mods and other pump tweaks, 22* timing, 4K springs, 100hp sticks and stock delivery valves,,,,,, pretty gravy up too 500-550 really.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ah yes, ive heard cams make a difference for those bigger chargers on the cummins. must help out that choked up head

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Its pretty fun to see what can be done with just simple hand tools, ill admit that. My 12v went from a complete dog to at least able to get out of its own way with about 45 mins of pump play. And that was my first time taking one apart. Is it a speed demon? No far from it. But its definitely fun to see the direct correlation and instant results from the tweeks you make.

Other than that, mines a freaking pig. Obnoxiously loud, both the engine and exhaust, leaks out of just about every place possible, its a pain to start when its cold, and did I mention how noisy it is? But I do like it, and I love the instant throttle response of a mechanical motor versus the computer controlled fueling on the dmax.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mikeholmen

Sep 8, 2011
Airdrie, alberta
It's a 95 which I believe has the 180 pump like the autos. He will be changing delivery valves, rack travel, timing, etc. I don't know much about it but hope to learn a little during his project.

It's pretty rough on the exterior so he will be putting some body work in. It was an old farm truck that the farmer bought new in 95. Hard life!

08 LMM Chevy CCSB
Relentless Diesel trans
JoshH EfiLive tuning
554hp 1014ft-lbs 7/30/11

Probably a 175HP pump. Get the part # off the side of pump so you can find out for sure. We have several tweaked stock truck near 500rwhp. First off you'll parts are dirt cheap and power easy to be found. Best mod going is to throw in 4k gsk, SDX competion delivery valves, rack the barrells, and throw away the fueling plate. Tweak the AFC for full fueling. What clutch is in the truck, most 12v's we have use a 3600 SBC dual disk, just cause you'll make tons of power.