Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
Went to test drive today after fixing turned damper. Take one 4wd launch and got P0742 code. First there wasnt any reverse after that, but after few starts truck begin to work and I could clear code. Truck works one short test drive without codes, but when driving home code comes back.

Could there be something wrong in converter, or is it just electrical or stucked valve problem?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Went to test drive today after fixing turned damper. Take one 4wd launch and got P0742 code. First there wasnt any reverse after that, but after few starts truck begin to work and I could clear code. Truck works one short test drive without codes, but when driving home code comes back.

Could there be something wrong in converter, or is it just electrical or stucked valve problem?

P0742 indicates that the converter clutch is applied when it should be off. This could be a bad converter ( not likely in this case ) or a stuck converter flow valve ( in the pump ) I will guess the valve is stucking or if you are using a Transgo valve; the restricter plug in the back of the valve pushed out and is holding the valve in partial TCC apply.
If I'm correct, the truck will act very lazy on take off and lower speeds. Tech 2 will tell you right away by watching the turbine speed sensor movement. If when you take off from a stop the turbine speed sensor does not show rpm increase, or very little, there is your problem.

Last edited:

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
Thank You.
I will get Tech 2 later today and monitor converter speeds.
edit. Converter flow valve is what Suncoast use in their SC V tranny few years ago. Dont know if it is same as Transgo.

Last edited:

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
I scanned it with Tech2, and take log. If somebody can open it and explain what transmission is doing, I can send file via email.

Transmission also have Co-pilot if it can cause some of my trouble?

I really wish I could repair this before saturday so I could take truck to track and see how new chargers work.

Last edited:

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
Today tranny works perfect and no codes. Over night miracle. I dont understand it.
Maybe new tunes have something to do with it :confused:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Today tranny works perfect and no codes. Over night miracle. I dont understand it.
Maybe new tunes have something to do with it :confused:

i hate it when that happens :( hopefully it stays gone . i have been dying to see your new setup @ the strip ! best of luck with the truck Mika !

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
i hate it when that happens :( hopefully it stays gone . i have been dying to see your new setup @ the strip ! best of luck with the truck Mika !

I will be happy if it is as fast as last year. My assdyno says it is faster, but logs says it is slower. Well, strip will tell. :spit:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I will be happy if it is as fast as last year. My assdyno says it is faster, but logs says it is slower. Well, strip will tell. :spit:

sometimes its funner to run fast assdyno times than track times :D:rofl: good luck and keep us posted !

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mika
Maybe if you post a link here someone can open it. I am sorry but I cannot. I would like to see it.

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
Mika
Maybe if you post a link here someone can open it. I am sorry but I cannot. I would like to see it.

I first try post file here, but forum didnt allow that.
I send file to RGullett83, he can open it. Maybe he want put screenshot or something here if possible.

Last edited:

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
Mika did you manually activate the snapshot with the Tech 2 or did you set it up to start recording when the DTC sets?

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I am not for sure how to get a screen shot up, using turbine shaft speed, input shaft speed and output shaft speed, I plotted them in a graph, and turbine speed rises at the same rate as input shaft speed.

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
Mika did you manually activate the snapshot with the Tech 2 or did you set it up to start recording when the DTC sets?

I manually activate it and take short drive. Transmission act like on/off in that trip too, so maybe there was something on.

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
I am not for sure how to get a screen shot up, using turbine shaft speed, input shaft speed and output shaft speed, I plotted them in a graph, and turbine speed rises at the same rate as input shaft speed.

You probably can take screenshot of what is in monitor by pushing shift/printscreen same time and saving it to paint (open paint, paste) in jpg or other format.

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
well, turbo suck air filter in so there is some big repairing coming.:rofl:
But I believe I am going in right direction with turbos, and it will be low 10 vehicle in near future.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
well, turbo suck air filter in so there is some big repairing coming.:rofl:
But I believe I am going in right direction with turbos, and it will be low 10 vehicle in near future.

:eek: Good Luck with the repairs.