LBZ: 06 duramax electrical issue or gage cluster issue?

Mar 27, 2008
Sheridan, IN.
My 06 with 124,000 miles just starred having an issue. I initially thought it was the junk gage cluster,gm used, going bad. My tach bounces, I will randomly lose other gages, fuel, oil pressure, temp, ect. When this happens, I also lose my AC. Another weird issue, while rolling up my passenger window it cuts in and out, it will go up, very brif pause and then continue, then do it again, sort of srudder. Anyone have any ideas?

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
I have the same issue with my 04 . I replaced my cluster with a custom unit, but I still have the same issue with the pass window. Maybe the bcm is getting old.

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, DSP 5 on v2 by Rick Fletes, 33x12.5 nittos at on 20 inch American Racing wheels, modded factory air box, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, Turbo port and polish, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust, 10mm lbz cp3 pump, Dual Yellow Top Optimas, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, Custom Y Bridge.

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
My unlocked feature stoped all together as well. Then I retuned my dsp 5 and it stopped

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, DSP 5 on v2 by Rick Fletes, 33x12.5 nittos at on 20 inch American Racing wheels, modded factory air box, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, Turbo port and polish, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust, 10mm lbz cp3 pump, Dual Yellow Top Optimas, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, Custom Y Bridge.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
04 and 06 use pretty different clusters. 03-05 clutcers have alot of problems, this is known, but in 06 when GM changed to the updated JUKEN steppers, cluster issues went WAY down, and you don't hear of alot of issues with 06-07 clusters. Sounds to me like you're having issues with the class 2 J1850 data bus as ALL of your problems center around the J1850 class 2 data bus. When you hit the window switch, it sends a signal over the bus to the BCM, and if it says it's alright, it then sends a signal to the door control module which in turn powers the window motor. ALL of your gauges as well receive there data info over the SAME class 2 data bus from all of the onboard modules. So ANY issues on the class 2 data bus can send ALL of these functions down. If it's an intermittent issue, you normally expect to find a chafed wire somewhere grounding out over bumps. You start by shaking/wiggling the harness to see if you can islate the problem area and find it. If that fails you normally find the data bus bulkhead connector, and isolate each branch one at a time until you find the problem branch, then follow it until you find the problem(either bad wire or failed module). This problem will most likely require some digging to isolate, but start with ANY aftermarket add ons. Even the aftermarket add on radio adapters can cause ALL of these problems.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
My unlocked feature stoped all together as well. Then I retuned my dsp 5 and it stopped

This is an 03-05 common tuning mistake that people make when tuning them by not using the correct base file. These kinds of issues normally are not a problem on 06+ trucks.

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
Noted, thanks

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
One of your ECM fuses under the hood is not making good contact. Pull it out and squeeze the prongs together and put it back in. I had the same issue a few years ago. Took me forever to chase it down.

A. Stock Lbz

Aug 13, 2013
spokane wa
One of your ECM fuses under the hood is not making good contact. Pull it out and squeeze the prongs together and put it back in. I had the same issue a few years ago. Took me forever to chase it down.

I had this exact problem with my 06 also, took me forever to figure it out.

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
You might try checking all the fuses. The way I found mine was I started wiggling them all one by one until I found the culprit. Had someone sitting in the truck while I was doing it.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
There is more than one ecm fuse like he said above check them all. I have had odd issues in an 05 and a 06 that were cured by fixing loose fuse holders in the under good fuse box.