LLY: 05 lly blowing coolant outta overflow

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
Truck runs cool about 170 but blows coolant outta over flow . Could it be a stuck thermostat ? How do you check for a blown head gasket ? Any inputs appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
let the pressure out when its cool, top the coolant off. drive it 30-40 miles and let it get hot, park it and checl the top radiator hose in the morning and see if its firm ike a tennis ball. if so pretty good chance your gaskets are done. time for studs

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
let the pressure out when its cool, top the coolant off. drive it 30-40 miles and let it get hot, park it and checl the top radiator hose in the morning and see if its firm ike a tennis ball. if so pretty good chance your gaskets are done. time for studs

Okay thanks I drove an hr home last night should be able to go out and check it now right ?

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
It will show it's running cool because it's shoving coolant out of the system giving a false reading, I can assure you it's plenty hot. Time for some head gaskets.

Time for head gaskets. Thermostats will not cause it to make it overflow.

Well that sucks trucksnonly got a 145k on it . I haven't google searched it but I'm assuming a couple thousand ?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Common lly issue. Around here it is around 4 grand to have them done. Parts are around 900.00 with studs. Machine work varies.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well that sucks trucksnonly got a 145k on it . I haven't google searched it but I'm assuming a couple thousand ?

Depends. Going to do the work yourself or have a shop do it?

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
Depends. Going to do the work yourself or have a shop do it?

I'm
Honestly not sure if it's a task I can handle
Alone , either way it leaves me without a vehicle so I might just say screw it and trade it in

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
I did exactly as stated above and to my knowledge it doesn't feel like the upper rad hose is stiff like a tennis ball . It isn't soft either tho but I can squeeze it without trying that hard at all

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I did exactly as stated above and to my knowledge it doesn't feel like the upper rad hose is stiff like a tennis ball . It isn't soft either tho but I can squeeze it without trying that hard at all

And if only one cylinder is blown (good thing) it won't be super hard, just hard enough to not squeeze the hose together and push coolant out.

I did mine myself at 19 y.o. With no prior diesel experience in my yard after work, I had 4200 bucks in it with **** ups and extra performance parts.

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
And if only one cylinder is blown (good thing) it won't be super hard, just hard enough to not squeeze the hose together and push coolant out.

I did mine myself at 19 y.o. With no prior diesel experience in my yard after work, I had 4200 bucks in it with **** ups and extra performance parts.

Alright so I drove about 40 min this am , came home system still had pressure hose was hard as a rock . I bled the pressure off and it became soft . So is it safe to say it's 100 percent blown gasket ? Sorry for the same question over and over I am listening just def want to be as thorough as possible before I go buy a piece of junk car to drive until I can fix this
Edit: never mind its def head studs , did a ton of reading and listening and I'm sure of it . Thanks for the insight . I guess the next question is should I pull the engine ? Or just take hood off and have a little bit of a sore back

Last edited:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Put the hood in service mode. If you look at the hinges there's another set of holes, it will allow the hood to be straight up and down. Way easier and can do it yourself. That's a personal preference, myself, I'm not pulling the motor unless it's blown up.

Take a lot of pics, put bolts back where they went if you don't think you can separate correctly or are ADD like me.

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
Put the hood in service mode. If you look at the hinges there's another set of holes, it will allow the hood to be straight up and down. Way easier and can do it yourself. That's a personal preference, myself, I'm not pulling the motor unless it's blown up.

Take a lot of pics, put bolts back where they went if you don't think you can separate correctly or are ADD like me.

I'm def add I slept like 4 hrs tops last night thinking about my truck , my wife said I was talking in my sleep about coolant ! Idk if that's true or not . I've got some mechanical skills built small engines and have done everything on the truck thus far myself . My actual only
Concern is pulling the heads off . Is it similar to a gasses where u have to pul rods and readjust valves etc ?

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Oh have to pull the pushrods and such but you only have to adjust the valves once, I usually set them all, spin the motor over a couple times and re-check them, you'd be surprised how often you miss one or one is a little loose.

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
Oh have to pull the pushrods and such but you only have to adjust the valves once, I usually set them all, spin the motor over a couple times and re-check them, you'd be surprised how often you miss one or one is a little loose.

I got a diesel mechanic buddy I think I'll draft over with some beers and have him do that part . Other then that I shouldn't have a issue I don't think , def a little nervous tho . Found me a little Datsun pick up for like 300 bucks I'm gonna be rollin in style for a while lol

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
So I called a shop back home that I know the mechanic well (my dads neighbor ) quoted me 3k plus price of studs on my end

Thoughts ? There atleast 3 weeks out tho so should question is should I continue to drive it ? And just keep eye on coolant

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Run the truck up to operating temp. (hose will be very hard, can't be squeezed together) Let the truck cool completely, usually over night (hose should be fairly soft, easily squeezed together). If it's soft, I would put a new cap on it and see how it acts.

For what it's worth my LLY went 95K before I lost a head gasket. It's had double stacked tunes in it's early days and a 600+ rwhp tune for the last 5 years... My head gaskets owed me nothing.