04 zf6 fuel knock

mamumtsllc

Sep 4, 2014
Hey guys. Got a 04.5 lly 3500 with the zf6 manual trans. Came in for fuel knock/miss and excessive black smoke. So ran cylinder cut out and found #6 had the knock. Kill the cylinder it goes away. Balance rate was a +8. Every other cylinder was +/- 3-4. So figured there's the problem. Changed #6 injector, cranked it up and exactly the same. So I thought maybe #5 which is directly across. So we put #6 injector in #5 hole. No change. Pulled ficm off good running truck. No change. Put #5 injector in #3 since that's the next cylinder in firing order thinking maybe??? No change.

So I'm back to the forums where you can actually get real help. No blow by. But im lost. Looking for ideas or any other wild ghosts to chase. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Are you using the Tech 2 or another tool? Some others can read the injector numbers wrong. EfiLive has been known for this issue.

Some speculate that the number is actually the firing number and not cylinder number. So #6 firing would be #5 cylinder

DW-1503-DCAM-2~01.jpg

Reactions: wydopenLb7

mamumtsllc

Sep 4, 2014
Are you using the Tech 2 or another tool? Some others can read the injector numbers wrong. EfiLive has been known for this issue.

Some speculate that the number is actually the firing number and not cylinder number. So #6 firing would be #5 cylinder

View attachment 116358
Using a snap on Solus scan tool. I believe it actually kills the cylinder number that you select from my experience. But I will definitely pay closer attention to that tomorrow. Sounds like it's coming from the driver side.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
On a customers vehicle, you should be running a compression test next. You assume injector when it could very well be something else. Also you never posted main injection rate for the balance rates. Without it, you only have half the story.

mamumtsllc

Sep 4, 2014
On a customers vehicle, you should be running a compression test next. You assume injector when it could very well be something else. Also you never posted main injection rate for the balance rates. Without it, you only have half the story.
Compression test is next in line. But let me just throw this out there to make sure I'm not missing anything. No blow by. Zero. So that tells me the cylinder walls and rings are still intact rite? No noise in intake or exhaust to give me a feeling that it has a bent, burnt or broke valve. I'm more than willing to run the test but I feel that I'm not going to find a low cylinder. Am I missing something else?

mamumtsllc

Sep 4, 2014
Bringing this back up from the dead. Looks like o own the truck now. I ran compression test before and want to say it was in the 350 psi range but I cannot gurantee that. So I plan to get it running to pull balance rates again and then Check compression. I've seen guys say check it hot vs cold. Which gives me the best reading? Or do both?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk