03 LB7 randomly died

Collinb1234

Mar 3, 2015
Hey guy, I have a 03 Chevy 2500hd with an lb7. In the last 6 months I bought a used edge ez and a 5in exhaust setup. She's got 198xxx miles on her. Today I ran to the next town over about 40 miles. Drove there and back doing about 70 mph. Got it nice and hot, got home and shut it off. Got back in to it to run into town, got about 1/4 mile from the house and she died. Felt as though the fuel dropped off. Got it pulled home, first thing I did was pull off the edge. Just cranked and no start. Primed It till it was hard, no start. Cracked the bleeder screw open and spilled diesel everywhere and tightened it back up. Cranked and started right away. I have no idea what happened. Plugged the edge back in and it runs fine. Ran her though some paces and it's fine. Plugged in my scanner no codes
All injectors are in check, all under +-1 and one is 2.1, fuel pressure is all good on the cmd and actual, held fine at 23000psi. I am confused at what could have possibly happened and I lost all reliability in my truck. Had this happened to anyone else before?

Collinb1234

Mar 3, 2015
Anyone ran into this before? Could it have just been an air bubble in the fuel system? I haven't noticed any leaks and this is the first time it's done this to me.

Collinb1234

Mar 3, 2015
no lift pump, only mods are 5in exhaust and edge ez. it had roughly half a tank of fuel in it when it died. I am stumped. but what is this 1/4 tank issue you speak of?

Collinb1234

Mar 3, 2015
Anyone have any advice? It's been driving fine all week. Hasn't missed a beat. I have to drive it to Denver next week. About 1600 miles round trip. Was this just a freak air bubble in the fuel system?:confused: This will be the first time I'll be taking it more then 100 miles away from home base. Is there any reason for me not to trust it? Do they ever "really" leave you stranded? What spare parts and tools do you guys generally carry along on long road trips?

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
I usually take a good assortment of everything on long haul,You never really know what you will need until you don't have it.Standard tool kit,hoses/clamps, fuel filter,a real jack and stands,12 v light,extra fuel for u and the truck,ect.Have a safe trip.Sounds like you had some air in the lines,possibly the filter head needs a rebuild.

Collinb1234

Mar 3, 2015
Thanks on the info on tools and parts! And I couldn't tell if there were any bubbles, it kinda just sprayed out. But right after that it fired right up. I'm just curious how air go in. I checked the screw to see if it was cracked and it is fine. I have no fuel leaks that I can see at all

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
I had an issue sort of similar to yours, I had air getting into the fuel system and I had to prime the fuel system or whatever, using the plunger until the fuel had no bubbles in it. It ended up being the plastic bleeder screw just needed to be replaced. Sorry for my wording on some of this, I dont really know how to explain it really well

SnackMix

Mar 22, 2015
Had the same issue a few months back. Every now and then I'd have to prime the system. Buy the kit to rebuild the filter head assembly. Takes about 5 min to do and get a brass bleeder screw and a good quality fuel filter and you shouldn't have any other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk