Wtf?!?!

thedirtydury

BrunerRacing
Mar 8, 2010
windsor,ca
So I just found out that the S480 I have been running for the last year or so from forcedairinductions is nothing more than a Borg Warner cover with a Chinese center cartridge!! Is that even legal?! Wtf? I'm pissed! Has anyone else heard of this? No wonder it was $950 shipped. I kept asking everyone why they were cheaper than others and no one knew. Well now I know and I'm pretty upset lol. I'd REALLY like to know what I could be making with an actual BORG WARNER charger!

A. Stock Lbz

Aug 13, 2013
spokane wa
is there not a borg warner plate riveted to the cartridge with a part #? the pics you posted in the what did you do to your dmax today thread sure looks like a s400 to me. i have bought several turbos from jose at forced inductions and all of them were legit. show some proof or i call bs

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
My unit from FI has the tag and is most certainly a BW based unit. To answer your question, it is illegal if they sold you a BW unit. Besides missing the tag, how did you decide it's not a BW unit? It's interesting, because their website specifically tells you how to look for BW units.

LbzDMax07

Dec 16, 2013
PA
My s468 I got from FI about 2 weeks ago don't have the plate on it. Is there a way to tell other than the plate?

A. Stock Lbz

Aug 13, 2013
spokane wa
that looks like a borg warner s400 to me, it has the rivets there just no tag. how did you decide this is a china cartridge? i have had nothin but great a experience with forced inductions and i highly doubt they are selling china junk. i would call and ask for jose he is the man.

thedirtydury

BrunerRacing
Mar 8, 2010
windsor,ca
Someone told me about it so I decided to check for the tag and it wasn't their. I "was told" that they did this and I don't really have any real proof. I heard Borg Warner will never ship or sell a turbo without a tag so it just worries me that's all. Haven't had any problems with it yet. Not trying to dis anyone or throw anyone under the bus, I'm just a little worried.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Someone told me about it so I decided to check for the tag and it wasn't their. I "was told" that they did this and I don't really have any real proof. I heard Borg Warner will never ship or sell a turbo without a tag so it just worries me that's all. Haven't had any problems with it yet. Not trying to dis anyone or throw anyone under the bus, I'm just a little worried.
I also heard the wheels were just thrown in their without being balanced��. Again, I don't know for sure but I'd like to find out.

Then you probably shouldnt have even posted anything about it until you found out for sure, dont you think?
3rd hand rumors and conjecture arent proof. Thats not how this forum operates.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Is there anything wrong with the product?
And why post if you are not sure, that is a substantially allegation to make and I would expect you to be sure.

The company could actually sue you for libel if you are wrong.

I have always been happy with the service and parts, Jose is a great guy to deal with imho.

thedirtydury

BrunerRacing
Mar 8, 2010
windsor,ca
The only issue I have is the turbine has wear marks on the outside like it's hitting the cover. And all I want is to know how I can be sure it's genuine. I don't mean to piss people off I'm sorry. I have nothing against Jose or forced inductions so far.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
The thing about a turbo is they are easy to destroy. One boost leak, any oil contaminates, even bad tuning will take them out. If there is a problem they will usually fail quickly.
An imbalance can be caused by debris hitting the turbine etc. The only turbo that can be warranty is on a stock truck and even then it will need inspected. So I totally understand why you want to be sure you got a good part.

I think you should delete this thread and start a new thread asking that exactly.

"how can i tell I have a genuine turbo?"

Than if you get the answer you need you have earned the right to post the results and everyone will support you.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ok sorry and thank you.

Don't be sorry JK is a wanker IMO.

I bought a twin kit secondhand that was originally built by a reputable builder and the 480 I got is identical. Quite likely it is a chinese one as well as it shows all of the same signs or lack of. Not sure if it came this way from the original builder or not but I was a bit disappointed to find this out.
Regardless I am going to run it until it shits the bed then get it built or replaced with a genuine BW. I would suggest you do the same, or at the very least get back to the supplier with a wtf is this question and see what they say.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Don't be sorry JK is a wanker IMO.

I bought a twin kit secondhand that was originally built by a reputable builder and the 480 I got is identical. Quite likely it is a chinese one as well as it shows all of the same signs or lack of. Not sure if it came this way from the original builder or not but I was a bit disappointed to find this out.
Regardless I am going to run it until it shits the bed then get it built or replaced with a genuine BW. I would suggest you do the same, or at the very least get back to the supplier with a wtf is this question and see what they say.

You're not worrried about it shitting the bed and taking out something in your new built motor?