Worst Hosed Injector Videos

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Ok here is one for fun. What's the worst messed up common rail injector you've ever seen?

I encountered one the other day that made me stop the truck I was driving on side of the road and call a friend to pull me home. Soon as I got there I connected the SnapOn to it and started it up again, just to take some video...

Now this example is on a 5.9L C, but since it's common rail I figured you guys would appreciate it. No balance rate option this year, but you can kill injectors one by one. Which in this case was all required to isolate it.

Enjoy, and post your best examples.

https://youtu.be/hUH6mq2VtdA

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Wow, I've never saw one that bad. My friend said his 05' Cummins had an injector that bad and his father kept driving, hauling a horse trailer to boot, needless to say it didn't make it home and the motor didn't make it either.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Has a nice beat to it. Had an LLY one time I should have done a video on. HOLY HE!! at the smoke, knock, and rattle right up until it died and wouldn't start no more. Had 165K miles on them. New set of sticks, fired right up, and purred like a kitten.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
[YOUTUBE]cKWdxVv66tI[/YOUTUBE]
That is my truck. Set of +100% injectors went very bad, very quickly. There was just a light haze before I started the 500 mile drive to my dad's shop to change them.

I liked the beat that bad Cummins injector was laying down :spit:

Sent from my FlashScan V2

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
That's good and hazy Dave...

Strangest part about that Cummins failure was I'd just put fuel in the truck and pulled out of the station less than a mile before it happened. It set a CEL for a TPS sensor circuit low, that's when I saw rail pressure dropping on the CTS screen. Looked in the mirror and said WTF?

It did have a funky rhythm to it. :rofl: Like singing "here comes a rod, protruding through the block..."

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Anyone ever seen a 6.0 with a split nozzle? Done several of those. Crazy smoke and knock. Even seen a couple bad enough to hydrolock an engine. I also did an lly once that I would have sworn had a rod knock. Very metallic knock and no smoke. Injector fixed it though

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I owned and drove a Ford 6.0L for 8yrs logging 150k on either straight or high blends of biodiesel for testing. Ran it out of fuel one day under a WOT situation, that seized first 3 injectors on the spot. Straight up dead sticks. We decided to stud it and found a cracked piston that wasn't blown through in one of those dead stick holes... But bitch had been blowing off antifreeze hard for couple months prior, so who knows. Over the remaining years I replaced 4 more injectors, plus another set of head gaskets.. Truck is still running out there today sporting 1 factory injector with over 220k miles. Gotta be some sort of record.

Seriously believe that 6.0L HPOP design is probably one of mans worst inventions. If you starve those injectors for fuel, the HPOP attempts to push the needle through the nozzle tip due to lack of dampening. When that Dodge acted up couple people mentioned tip cracking as possible issue. I said it's not a Ford..

Because the big C has "unknown" oversized tips on it, I was torn on how to approach this failure. So I had Andrew at Injectors Direct [who purchased my Dmax boat] send me a couple reman units. Split year model so had two possible injectors options in there. I pulled the nozzle off the old one, inspected needle, sprayed some cleaner through it, tossed onto the new body and crossed my fingers. Runs like a charm...

Speaking of running like a charm. Found this old video of the 8 LLY injectors I seized up due to Biodiesel degrading in the bodies. We tore these puppies apart on glass top table over a case of beer and cleaned them. Thinking it was just a lesson in how to waste your afternoon, we recorded the test firing with all 8 connected and pointed in the air. Amazing results. To those who believed you couldn't fix a common rail injector, these all still flowed within specs when bench tested 3yrs later.. lol..

https://youtu.be/Db7mxsk7xfg