Question: Wish They Hadn't?

ToyhaulerTom

Old Tom
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
Anyone out there that dug into their engine to do head gaskets or such, and wished they hadn't? I'm just wondering if I, as a first time diesel mechanic should think twice.
Tom

ToyhaulerTom

Old Tom
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
Mostly curiosity. I'm sure I have a head gasket gone and have never jumped into a late model diesel. I'm old school, SBC kinda guy and I'm hoping that my abilities are up to the task. I've seen a lot of You Tubes and I guess if I take enough pics and stay organized, I should be okay. I'm waiting on parts and have been organizing my work space. I'm thankful for everyone on this site for all the info I've compiled.

LBZMIKE

Nov 15, 2014
colorado
I know you can do it i did them on my 6.0 power joke ..doing them on a duramax is soooo much easier and about 80lbs lighter per head lol

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
Oh ok. Best of luck, lots of good folks on here to help answer your questions when they arise. I was a diesel tech before I had my Duramax so everything was kind of normal to me. Like mike said though, these engines are costly. It would be good for you to learn about these engines. Even picking up a manual at your local auto store and browsing through it when you have time will help you at least understand before you dive in.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You are asking the wrong group of guys if we regret all we've done, even the guys who blow up engines and transmissions or who seem to be constantly working on theirs.

Sure, some do give up, due to a dead money tree or life getting in the way, but most are too far along in this hobby to just call it a day. Diesel hobbyists can be stubborn SOBs.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
You are asking the wrong group of guys if we regret all we've done, even the guys who blow up engines and transmissions or who seem to be constantly working on theirs.

Sure, some do give up, due to a dead money tree or life getting in the way, but most are too far along in this hobby to just call it a day. Diesel hobbyists can be stubborn SOBs.

This is way too true. I wish mine would burn to the ground. Probably buy a kia and be done with all of it

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Anyone out there that dug into their engine to do head gaskets or such, and wished they hadn't? I'm just wondering if I, as a first time diesel mechanic should think twice.
Tom

Nope!
What's this "think twice" stuff???
Shoot, I usually think 100x, and yeah I have reservations when I tackle a project
Lol

I know it looks complicated and intimidating, but honestly it really isnt
I'll look at it and plan out each step before I take out a tool, of course my "plan" doesn't typically happen like I hope, but it at least gets me focused

Don't let your anxiety get the best of you, it's just a puzzle, if you take it apart you can absolutely put it back together...

Take your time and remember there's nothing that needs to be "forced" to come off, I mean yeah, some things require some force to break a nut or bolt free, but everything has a certain way it works and comes apart...

The last thing you want to be doing is breaking and stripping parts/bolts...every part is a serviceable part...even most (if not all) of the wire harness hold downs/keepers come off and are reusable...

Clean everything as you take it off, clean and keep everything in the engine bay clean, keep it organized and plug away at it one piece at a time...

Taking pictures throughout the process always seems to help too
:thumb:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
You are asking the wrong group of guys if we regret all we've done....
Diesel hobbyists can be stubborn SOBs.

^^^this^^^
X100
Lol

Sometimes you just gotta be more stubborn than the parts when working on a diesel

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Aside from torquing the heads properly and in the right seauence, which Id recommend a good digital torque wrench for...

Setting the valve lash is the most significant task, McRat (Pat) made this thread a while back that I used as my guide for setting the valve lash...

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13206

I had never done it before and it turned out perfect! I've had several guys comment on how quiet my engine is

Best of luck Tom, don't place an expectation of time on yourself...do it right ONCE no matter how long it takes

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
Get yourself a box of plastic bags and a marker. Place groups of bolts in the bag and label where they came from. This really made it easier for me to put everything back together

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
The best thing I can offer is asking advice for worst case scenario and have some extra parts there waiting incase things go south. I jUST did my head gaskets this weekend on my truck, and low and behold an injector was froze in the head and had to weld a slide hammer to it for removal. (Not normal by any means) but usually small things tend to break like glow plugs and if the tops of the injectors are rusty, the return line t's can break coming out. Knowing what your up against prior to going in sure does make it a lot easier while doing it.

But would I think twice? nope
:thumb: