Wiseco steel pistons

Dragbear

Dragbear
Aug 4, 2013
Wiseco pistons

I have been running mine for a couple weeks now.
i find them to be very noisy compared to cast pistons. Not piston slap but combustion noise. They have a sound all their own.
also need to find out if they need special tuning. I know the oval bowl pistons do. I get a lot of pinging under a light load and need to find someone that has tuned them to get some information on what they like.
i am happy with them so far.

Rick

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I have found that timing in the lower mm3 say 20 to 60 and the 1600 to 2200 rpms need to be decreased. Try changing up the timing in those areas and see if it helps

Last edited:

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I typically choose the aftermarket pistons, specifically the weisco in builds for the ring groove. With a custom or now with weisco shelf stock it is built for a 1.5mm top ring groove and napier second. there are many affordable aftermarket stainless steel rings in this size and that is why I like these pistons. the pistons themselves are well made and have been in a very close tolerance weight and dimension-ally from my experience. The standard cast rings in my 6.7 ford just do not hold up to high boost and large amounts of spray. The weisco pistons allowed me to select aftermarket rings that seem to be getting it done. I have built a good handful of engines with these pistons and so far so good. Like any performance product that is being used under extreme conditions there may be some failures but that is just life in the high horsepower world. I have just installed my first set of street pistons into a 6.4 powerstroke that is used for pulling, towing and daily driving. I look forward to some good result there after long term testing.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I typically choose the aftermarket pistons, specifically the weisco in builds for the ring groove. With a custom or now with weisco shelf stock it is built for a 1.5mm top ring groove and napier second. there are many affordable aftermarket stainless steel rings in this size and that is why I like these pistons. the pistons themselves are well made and have been in a very close tolerance weight and dimension-ally from my experience. The standard cast rings in my 6.7 ford just do not hold up to high boost and large amounts of spray. The weisco pistons allowed me to select aftermarket rings that seem to be getting it done. I have built a good handful of engines with these pistons and so far so good. Like any performance product that is being used under extreme conditions there may be some failures but that is just life in the high horsepower world. I have just installed my first set of street pistons into a 6.4 powerstroke that is used for pulling, towing and daily driving. I look forward to some good result there after long term testing.

I was just looking to justify the cost. 330 for steel gap less rings total seal and reuse my wrist pins with wiseco; and yes I noticed alot of chioces with the 1/16 and 3/16. Arias comes with pins clips and I think rings. Ofcourse arias can be ordered up to 20:1 cr. I think that will turn the wiseco into a custom price range. As they say I can choose 1 "special" request for 5 bucks more, 2 or more turns them into a special "custom piston" price range