LBZ: Wiring Harness Replacement

slammed4x4

Oct 29, 2015
Sonoma County, CA
I'm looking for some guidance here with a few things. I purchased my '06 LBZ as a project truck and I did not realize at the time how bad the wiring harness really was. To be clear on my idea of a project truck is to clean up the engine maybe a new turbo/tune/intake/exhaust, clean up the interior and new suspension/stance. I paid $10K with 290K miles on the motor. Now that I am ready to start the build I want to make sure everything is sound from the bottom up. All of the wiring harness in the engine bay need to be replaced because from the looks of it a rat or rats got at the plastic looms and some of the wires.

I have talked to several shops around my area and most wont even touch the job to replace the wiring harness even if I can get them from the dealer.

So I'm left with the debate, do I do the electrical myself, which I definitely don't feel too confident in doing myself but I would definitely be willing to give it a shot or sell the truck and purchase the same truck with better wiring? I have looked around and I would probably end up paying from $5K to $8K more for another truck compared to what I can sell mine for right now. I'm open to suggestions and if anyone knows of a shop in California who would be willing to do the work I would definitely be interested.

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
Is it mainly the engine harness? Or ALL of the harnesses under the hood?

Me personally if I had purchased a project truck like this, knowing it would need harness work/replacement, I'd start hunting around for some harnesses off some of these guys on here that are parting out trucks. Then check the harness over and fix what's wrong with it, and completely replace the original one on the truck. They seem overwhelming at first, but take your time and lots of pics and just swap out what needs to be swapped. Then you'll have a clean completed project you can say you completed on your own.

That's my opinion though LOL

slammed4x4

Oct 29, 2015
Sonoma County, CA
Looks like all of the harnesses need to be replaced. The wiring looks like a war zone under the hood. Thank you, I'm leaning towards doing the work myself. I went to the dealer today to get the part numbers for the harnesses so I can hunt them down only at a cheaper price. The guy behind the counter was difficult to deal with, but finally got all the numbers I needed. Yes it looks overwhelming and I'll take your vote of confidence. In the end there's no better feeling than the work you put into your truck and knowing you did the work yourself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
The engine harness isn't bad at all. The one that goes into the cab is a different story.
If you need a shop go to Russ at RPM.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Lift up the fuse box to make sure they haven't been there either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slammed4x4

Oct 29, 2015
Sonoma County, CA
Thanks I'll get in there tomorrow a day make sure those wires are still good. Talked with Brad at RPM when I originally wanted to get a feel for the cost of a complete build and after picking my jaw off the floor I'm being realistic to what my goals are and starting off with a solid foundation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk